You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-08 19:47:25

mcq

Graphics Card setup?

Hello

I have setup my arch system with KDEmod and it is running now.  I set it up with the onboard graphics card which was an xf86-video-openchrome. 

I now have an Asus Geforce 6600 in the box plugged in PCI-E and I am at the command line in Arch.

I want to install the nvidia driver and utils

#pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils

I get

:: nvidia-utils conflicts with libgl.  remove libgl? y/n

same message when I just type

#pacman -S nvidia

if I type yes to remove libgl I get

:: unichrome-dri : requires libgl=7.7

My questions

Can I keep the other driver setup of the onboard graphics card or do I have to uninstall the driver.

Will uninstalling the driver help me here and if yes what is the pacman command for that.  Will removing libgl cause me problems?  Is it needed that I remove libgl in order to install nvidia?  I suspect it is as nvidia has its own open gl setup.

Can anyone help me with a guide to installing this card given that a card is already set up.

Thanks in advance

mcq

#2 2010-02-08 20:23:39

MAroco

Re: Graphics Card setup?

Don't know if it is possible to have two different Graphic Cards - one onboard and one in PCIE - installed at the same time. Probably it is **somehow** but if you dont NEED to do that because you plan weird things with several monitors or so I would not recommend it. Keep it simple smile

I have an ATI Card so not 100% sure, but I guess the "nvidia" is the proprietary nvidia-driver, not the open-source one? In that case it will provide its own libgl version. I'd propose you delete the onboard-driver including the libgl and then install the nvidia one.  You won't need the driver for the onboard-card anyway if nothing is connected to it. I assume you want your monitor connected to the PCIE-Card. [Hint: Don't forget to plug the monitor-cable to that card smile  ]

To remove packages: pacman -R <packagename>
More info on pacman usage can by found by "man pacman" in a terminal or here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

Hope it helps

Last edited by MAroco (2010-02-08 20:48:13)

#3 2010-02-08 20:28:13

mcq

Thanks

nvidia driver installed, removed the packages and keeping it simple as you say.

mcq

#4 2010-02-08 20:29:39

MAroco

Cool you read it while I was editing it smile
Please mark thread as solved if it is.

Last edited by MAroco (2010-02-08 20:30:22)

Board footer