You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-09 06:25:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Anyone experiencing instability with BFS patch-set?

I'm using kernel26-ice with BFS patchset, and in the last 3-4 weeks I noticed jerkiness sometimes, and the machine hard-locks every day or so, during periods of low CPU usage. Anyone else here using -bfs and can comment?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-02-10 12:37:51

sHyLoCk

Re: Anyone experiencing instability with BFS patch-set?

I use kernel26-ice. i'm not facing these issues. Maybe problem is somewhere else? hmm

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2010-02-10 13:07:30

jac
Website

I'm using kernel26-ck with BFS enabled, and I'm not having anything of the sort either. Though, my computer is never at a low CPU usage.

#4 2010-02-11 02:02:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hmm, I only get this with BFS on kernel26-ice. May try out kernel26-ck one day. If I disable BFS things work fine. Similarly it happens most often with compiz, can hardly get any issues if I switch back to metacity.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-02-11 05:07:27

broch
Banned

I use BFS/tuxonice (zen) no problems.
Out of cutiosity, how can you disable cpu scheduler (unless this is not BFS cpu scheduler)?

Last edited by broch (2010-02-11 05:07:57)

#6 2010-02-11 06:49:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

broch wrote:

I use BFS/tuxonice (zen) no problems.
Out of cutiosity, how can you disable cpu scheduler (unless this is not BFS cpu scheduler)?

Latest BFS there's an option not to use it during 'make config'. I also just recompile the kernel without that patchset (my preferred method).

#7 2010-02-11 13:09:44

broch
Banned

I have not seen BFS as optional in kernel26-ice config (one published in AUR http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15224 ), that is why I asked. zen has BFS as an option in -rcX unstable.

#8 2010-02-11 17:17:36

iceman81
Website

broch wrote:

I have not seen BFS as optional in kernel26-ice config (one published in AUR http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15224 ), that is why I asked. zen has BFS as an option in -rcX unstable.

### User/Environment defined variables
bfs_scheduler=${bfs_scheduler:-0}
enable_fastboot=${enable_fastboot:-0}
keep_source_code=${keep_source_code:-0}
menuconfig=${menuconfig:-0}
realtime_patch=${realtime_patch:-0}
use_config_gz=${use_config_gz:-0}
enable_reiser4=${enable_reiser4:-0}
###

#9 2010-02-11 17:53:45

broch
Banned

iceman81 wrote:
broch wrote:

### User/Environment defined variables
bfs_scheduler=${bfs_scheduler:-0}
enable_fastboot=${enable_fastboot:-0}
keep_source_code=${keep_source_code:-0}
menuconfig=${menuconfig:-0}
realtime_patch=${realtime_patch:-0}
use_config_gz=${use_config_gz:-0}
enable_reiser4=${enable_reiser4:-0}
###

^ one of the reasons I dont like kernels (and nvidia) from PKGBUILD wink
$cat /usr/src/zen-unstable/.config | grep -i bfs
CONFIG_SCHED_BFS=y
CONFIG_SCHED_BFS_AUTOISO=y
CONFIG_SCHED_BFS_CUSTOM_RR=y
CONFIG_SCHED_BFS_RR_INTERVAL=3

everything in one place: kernel config file

#10 2010-02-12 05:50:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Your kernel config file cannot determine what patches to apply.... the PKGBUILD can.

#11 2010-02-12 05:54:22

sHyLoCk

PKGBUILD is basically a script to compile your package for you in an orderly fashion with Arch-specific standards. Nothing less, nothing more.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

Board footer