You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-09 14:38:52

San2ban
Banned

[SOLVED] Archlinux X86_64 Oenoffice 3.1 not installing

Dear Archers
I am new to Archlinux. I had openoffice 3.1 installed earlier. During one of   the recent system upgrades, it said oo3.1 is to be upgraded. it showed a memory of 150MB. I was surprised, since oo3.1 was already installed. Anyway, I said Y, and after download, it said file corrupted. Later, the existing file also failed to open. Now, I am trying to install this from 2 weeks, without success. I live in India. I tried changing to mirrors in Germany, Denmark, England, Finland, but no use.
Request  your help in installing oo3.1

Satyam eva jayate

Registered linux user #535257

#2 2010-02-09 14:55:09

sHyLoCk

Re: [SOLVED] Archlinux X86_64 Oenoffice 3.1 not installing

Hi,

After the libjpeg/libpng upgrades, packages [including OO] were recomplied and what you got is 3.1.1-2 => 3.1.1-3

try this:

rm /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*.part
pacman -Syyu

Remember always:
1. Re-Sync mirrors
2. Do full upgrades, not individual package upgrades!

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2010-02-09 16:48:29

San2ban
Banned

Hi sHyLoCK
Tried your suggestion. Says as below
rm: cannot remove `*.part': No such file or directory
As I sid earlier, existing package oo3.1 on my PC also did not open. Hence, I removed complete package.

Also, when I gave -Syyu command, below output came
[root@myhost san2ban]# pacman -Syyu                                                                                                           
:: Synchronizing package databases...                                                                                                         
core                      36.3K    6.2K/s 00:00:06 [####################################################################################] 100%
extra                    449.9K   11.9K/s 00:00:38 [####################################################################################] 100%
community                368.7K   13.3K/s 00:00:28 [####################################################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...                                                                                                             
resolving dependencies...                                                                                                                     
looking for inter-conflicts...                                                                                                                 
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)                                                                         
:: kdelibs: requires phonon                                                                                                                   
[root@myhost san2ban]# pacman -Sy phonon
:: Synchronizing package databases...   
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in : Connection timed out
core                      36.3K   11.5K/s 00:00:03 [####################################################################################] 100%
extra is up to date                                                                                                                           
community is up to date                                                                                                                       
resolving dependencies...                                                                                                                     
warning: provider package was selected (phonon-gstreamer provides phonon-backend)                                                             
looking for inter-conflicts...                                                                                                                 
:: phonon conflicts with qt. Remove qt? [Y/n] Y                                                                                               
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)                                                                         
:: phonon-gstreamer: requires qt                                                                                                               
:: phonon: requires qt                                                                                                                         
:: kde-agent: requires qt                                                                                                                     
:: kdelibs: requires qt>=4.5.3-4                                                                                                               
:: phonon-xine: requires qt>=4.5.2-3                                                                                                           
:: polkit-qt: requires qt                                                                                                                     
:: poppler-qt: requires qt>=4.5.3                                                                                                             
:: pyqt: requires qt>=4.5.3                                                     
and so on.
Hence, I cannot upgrade, since kdelib needs phonon, and phonon conflicts with qt
Pl. help.
Regards
sanjay

Satyam eva jayate

#4 2010-02-09 16:56:48

sHyLoCk

Put:

Server = http://archlinux.limun.org/$repo/os/x86_64

At the top of your /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

then run:

pacman -Syy
pacman -S --asdeps qt
pacman -Su

~ Regards,
sHy

#5 2010-02-09 16:59:13

ZaQ

Did you tried to change the mirror.

Ohterwise, see http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=90629

ups, too late

Last edited by ZaQ (2010-02-09 17:00:32)

#6 2010-02-16 14:33:34

San2ban
Banned

Dear shylock

Gone is my pc. Out of frustration, I completely removed KDE (since there were denpendency issues, starting from oo3.1).
I reinstalled KDEbase only. Then rebooted. Now, initial startup screen comes, but later, Monitor displays "Mode not supported, horizontol 125kHz, vertical, 280Hz". must be resolution trouble. As of now, I am writing this from a internet cafe. Pl. guide me. My daughter's photos are there in the PC. my hands are itching to delete Arch and reload Mandriva.
Somehow, I have fallen in love with Arch, I do not want to go back....
Searching the fforums for an answer, but none found.
Hope by tomorrow, you will have some suggestion. Solely relying on you

Satyam eva jayate

#7 2010-02-16 14:36:07

sHyLoCk

I'm now thinking the problem is with your graphic driver.
What is the output of:

lspci | grep VGA

~ Regards,
sHy

#8 2010-02-21 08:42:32

San2ban
Banned

Dear Shlock

I do not have my screen. Where do i get the C: prompt to do what you suggest? Pl. first guide me to get my screen back, If I get c: prompt, I will be able to do something

Satyam eva jayate

#9 2010-02-21 09:02:31

sHyLoCk

Hi, here inLinux you don't have c: prompt like in windows. You need to open a terminal.
May I suggest that you use a user-friendly Linux distribution before moving to Arch linux in future? Just to get used to the linux environment! Try ubuntu or mandriva or openSUSE! smile This is just a suggestion. I am unable to provide you with any further guidance based on your current information.

~ Regards,
sHy

#10 2010-02-21 10:22:27

stryder

Most likely you had removed kdm and so you are not able to get the login display. In the boot screen, press "e" to edit the boot details and add "3" at the end of the kernel line.

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro 3

You should boot to the command line. Log in as root. Install kdm.

Much depends on how you removed kde. If you used pacman, then things are easily restored. Good luck!

(BTW, if you had followed shylock's suggestion "pacman -S --asdeps qt" those errors would have been avoided.)

#11 2010-02-24 16:03:34

San2ban
Banned

Dear all
My problem is that I am getting only a blank screen. As per shylock, I cannot get to a terminal.
The root caue of all these problem is, mine is a dial-up connection. If the bloody update had completed successfully, in the first instance, I would not be in this situation.

Anyway, thanks to all of you.
I WILL RE-INSTALL ARCH, BY TAKING IT TO MY FRIEND'S HOUSE. I RE-ITERATE THAT I WILL NOT GO BACK TO MANDRIVA< THOUGH I ADMIT IT IS A TEMPTATION

Satyam eva jayate

#12 2010-03-16 13:51:03

San2ban
Banned

Dear Archers

Finally, re-installed ARCH. As I had said earlier, mine is a dial-up connection (Huawei EC325 USB modem). One hell of a torrid time, trying to get the network up, without wvdial. The " How to set up a dial-up connection, without a dialer", is just nonsense.  I tried all possible things, but in vain.
I HUMBLY REQUEST THE PACKAGERS TO INCLUDE WVDIAL IN THE BASIC INSTALLATION PACKAGE, MANY LIKE ME WILL BE EVER GRATEFUL>

A GREAT DISTRO, SHOWS NO MERCY ON DIAL-UP USERS LIKE ME> PLANNING TO CHANGE TO BROADBAND.

REQUEST THE MODERATORS TO CLOSE THIS TOPIC

Satyam eva jayate

#13 2010-03-16 14:02:40

flamelab

Dial-up in 2010? With a rolling distro ? That's....

You should seriously consider upgrading to ADSL1/2

#14 2010-06-17 16:56:09

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

flamelab wrote:

You should seriously consider upgrading to ADSL1/2

While San2ban seems to be planning that, it's not always available, nor is it always cost-effective compared to dial-up.  Different people live in different situations.

On-topic: San2ban, I'm glad you managed to get it resolved.  Please ensure you're always using the same mirror for all repos.  Good luck in the future.

Board footer