You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-10 03:13:09

DWilliams

[SOLVED]"fontconfig conflicts with fontconfig-ubuntu" and other issues

Almost every program I have has stopped working. If I run a program from a terminal (one of the virtual terminals, gnome-terminal wont work either), they either complain about not being able to find libpng or libjpeg. I read the news posting about these and some forum posts, but none of them mentioned people having problems. What I understood from reading is that I just need to update my system.

This is where the problem lies. I cannot run "pacman -Syu" as usual. When I do, I get the following error:

fontconfig conflicts with fontconfig-ubuntu. Remove fontconfig-ubuntu?

If I answer yes, I get:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: kdelibs: requires phonon
:: cairo-ubuntu: requires fontconfig-ubuntu>=2.6.0
:: libxft-ubuntu: requires fontconfig-ubuntu

If I answer no, I get:

error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: fontconfig: conflicts with fontconfig-ubuntu

Either way, nothing is upgraded. How can I resolve this, as well as the libpng/libjpeg issue? I cleaned my cache and tried re-installing them, but it didn't help.

Last edited by DWilliams (2010-02-11 00:35:07)

#2 2010-02-10 06:58:59

mjheagle8

Re: [SOLVED]"fontconfig conflicts with fontconfig-ubuntu" and other issues

try to remove all the -ubuntu packages, then install their vanilla equivalents. should work.

Desktop/Laptop - DWM :: VM - screen
Registered Linux User Number 483137 :: Victory! :: GitHub

#3 2010-02-10 13:32:30

Surgat_

Or you can check AUR, get the latest pkgbuilds and rebuild your -ubuntu (or -lcd) packages. After installing them, the update should go flawlessly.

Also, if you have KDE installed you should check the news frontpage to see the KDE 4.4 announcement

#4 2010-02-10 16:59:49

DWilliams

mjheagle8 wrote:

try to remove all the -ubuntu packages, then install their vanilla equivalents. should work.

When I try to remove fontconfig-ubuntu I get a whole bunch of messages saying certain packages depend on it. How can I switch without breaking more stuff (and my system officially qualifies as broken, I can only access it via SSH now)?

#5 2010-02-10 21:37:44

DWilliams

Surgat_ wrote:

Or you can check AUR, get the latest pkgbuilds and rebuild your -ubuntu (or -lcd) packages. After installing them, the update should go flawlessly.

Also, if you have KDE installed you should check the news frontpage to see the KDE 4.4 announcement

Alright I installed fontconfig-ubuntu from the AUR and that resolved my initial conflict. It started complaining about gtk-qt-engine and kdelibs and they weren't depended on by anything so I just removed them (I assume I can re-install them later) and now my system upgrade is underway. Hopefully things will be fixed when it finishes.

Does anyone know what caused this and whether I can avoid similar issues in the future?

#6 2010-02-10 22:02:23

mjheagle8

DWilliams wrote:
mjheagle8 wrote:

When I try to remove fontconfig-ubuntu I get a whole bunch of messages saying certain packages depend on it. How can I switch without breaking more stuff (and my system officially qualifies as broken, I can only access it via SSH now)?

pacman -Rd packagename

Desktop/Laptop - DWM :: VM - screen
Registered Linux User Number 483137 :: Victory! :: GitHub

#7 2010-02-10 23:15:33

Surgat_

DWilliams wrote:
Surgat_ wrote:

Alright I installed fontconfig-ubuntu from the AUR and that resolved my initial conflict. It started complaining about gtk-qt-engine and kdelibs and they weren't depended on by anything so I just removed them (I assume I can re-install them later) and now my system upgrade is underway. Hopefully things will be fixed when it finishes.

Does anyone know what caused this and whether I can avoid similar issues in the future?

It happens because you are using a modified version of fontconfig (the ubuntu one). When a new version of fontconfig reaches [extra], pacman tries to update fontconfig (because fontconfig-ubuntu provides fontconfig, and fontconfig from [extra] is newer than the version you have installed) and finds that it conflicts with fontconfig-ubuntu.

The way to go is the one that you have followed: when there is an update in fontconfig, update your fontconfig-ubuntu package to the latest in AUR (hopefully the same version as the new one in [extra], else you'll have to wait or modify the PKGBUILD) and then update the rest of the system.

#8 2010-02-11 00:34:39

DWilliams

Alright my upgrade finished and my system was still fubar'd, both GDM and gnome-session refused to start, complaining about libpng even though I was fully upgraded. I downloaded the libpng from AUR, set it it to x86_64, then built and installed it.

Everything appears to be working correctly now. Thanks for the help everyone!

Board footer