You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-10 09:34:25

beachcoder

E17 / Entrance not running since last upgrade

Hello there,

I've upgraded my Arch Linux to the newest packages, but my Entrance-Loginmanager for E17 is not working anymore, and fails to start.
There is no message in /var/log when I do /etc/rc.d/entranced start. It seems as the package is corrupted.

There are also several problems with flickerings in E17 itself, every time I change a desktop view or move a window, all icons begin heavily to flicker.

Is there any solution for my problems in near future, or is there maybe a possibility to downgrade to older packages?

Thanks,
beachcoder

PS: The version of Entrance installed is community/entrance-svn 45539-1 (e17-extra-svn).

Last edited by beachcoder (2010-02-10 09:35:15)

#2 2010-02-10 11:10:29

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: E17 / Entrance not running since last upgrade

i686 or x86_64?

can you try to start entrance from the commandline as root to get some output ?

/usr/sbin/entranced

#3 2010-02-10 22:58:21

beachcoder

Hello pressh,

pressh wrote:

i686 or x86_64?

can you try to start entrance from the commandline as root to get some output ?

/usr/sbin/entranced

Again, thanks for the quick answer! My system config is for i686.
Yes, I'm getting an error message when running entrance from the console:

/usr/bin/entrance: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've tried to reinstall libjpeg with pacman -Sy libjpeg, but this didn't solve the problem, althought it updated the package.
Hopefully, the other issue will even be solved soon, the flickering icons make me nervous in E17 - every time something grpahical redraw is done,the entire desktop view of E17 is updated...

Thanks for your help.

beachcoder

#4 2010-02-11 10:39:37

pressh
Developer/TU

strange, entrance-svn should have been compiled against libjpeg8, and thus linking against libjpeg.so.8.

I have some new compiled packages on my machine back home for i686, let me see if I can upload them this evening (my internet connection at home is misbehaving), don't know if it will fix the flickering issue though (haven't seen it on my machine).
I'm having some problems to login my user with entrance, but this may as well be a local pam issue on my machine (it starts fine and such, just doesn't login).

I'll post when the packages are up, would be great if you can give me some feedback if it works better and if entrance is working with those packages for you.

#5 2010-02-11 17:00:02

pressh
Developer/TU

uploaded new packages for i686, please try if it works better

#6 2010-02-12 00:58:09

beachcoder

pressh wrote:

uploaded new packages for i686, please try if it works better

hello pressh,

unfortunatelly not. Something really went terribly wrong with the last updates. I'm sometimes of the opinion, that every update of E17 becomes more worse than the previous. Many things stopped to work since I've tested E17 for the first time. It's a pity.
Anyway, I hope that it really will be "finished" someday. Because I like the style E17 comes with.

Ok pacman downloaded all e17-related packages, but no effect.
Entranced reports still the same error message, and this is also a thing I'd noticed:

$ shaman
shaman: error while loading shared libraries: libpolkit-qt-core.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$ exhibit 
exhibit: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there maybe something else different with my libraries? But how can I fix this? Maybe it's really not a E17 problem, but a general problem with my lib versions on my machine.

Any suggestions?

beachcoder

#7 2010-02-12 01:04:12

wonder
Developer
Website

shaman: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18269
exhibit: i didn't find it in our repository and if is from unsupported source you should rebuild it.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#8 2010-02-12 08:16:39

beachcoder

wonder wrote:

exhibit: i didn't find it in our repository and if is from unsupported source you should rebuild it.

Thanks for the info. exhibit is part of Enlightenment DR17. I hope this will be rebuild with new libraries, too.
Compiling the sources for E17 using easy_e17.sh did even notwork, there seems to be a corruption in the subversion directories:

svn: Failed to add directory 'e/src/modules/illume-keyboard': an unversioned directory of the same name already exists.

It's a shame sad.

So long,
beachcoder

#9 2010-02-12 09:40:34

pressh
Developer/TU

beachcoder wrote:
wonder wrote:

Thanks for the info. exhibit is part of Enlightenment DR17. I hope this will be rebuild with new libraries, too.

no it's not anymore. exhibit is not being maintained for a very long time already and IIRC stopped working after the introduction  of eina (it was never ported to it). There is no way to build it if you don't want to do some massive hacking. (edit: it was thus removed from the repos some months ago, together with some other e17 packages IIRC)

about the linking of entrance-svn to libjpeg7, I'm positive it must be something on your system. Do you have any packages on your system which are not from the repos and may need a rebuild (it links for example indirectly to cairo).

This flickering, does this happen also with a clean config and software rendering (no compositing)? It may even be fixed if we find the libjpeg7 culprit above, not sure?

Last edited by pressh (2010-02-12 09:41:34)

#10 2010-02-13 01:52:41

beachcoder

Hi pressh,

pressh wrote:

about the linking of entrance-svn to libjpeg7, I'm positive it must be something on your system. Do you have any packages on your system which are not from the repos and may need a rebuild (it links for example indirectly to cairo).

No, everything was obtained by pacman and generic repos.

pressh wrote:

This flickering, does this happen also with a clean config and software rendering (no compositing)? It may even be fixed if we find the libjpeg7 culprit above, not sure?

Well thanks, the flickering problem does not came up anymore after setting up a new configuration. I wonder why it's not possible to hold my configuration for E17 during an update, its always much needless trouble to set up a new configutation if something does not work as it should. Theme, icons, window handling, shelfes, etc. ... that's not very productive. But okay, it works for me now.

What about the Entrance-problem?

So long,
beachcoder

#11 2010-02-13 03:06:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

Generic repos? Since everything in the Arch repos is compiled against everything else in the Arch repos, I'd guess right now that the generic repos is where your problem lies.

#12 2010-02-13 03:37:32

beachcoder

skottish wrote:

Generic repos? Since everything in the Arch repos is compiled against everything else in the Arch repos, I'd guess right now that the generic repos is where your problem lies.

I hope that "generic" was not a mistranslation of mine. I just wanted to clarify that I did not compiled anything on my machine by myself, which may cause this problem, I just used to repositories offered by the Arch Linux community and obtain my packages with pacman.

#13 2010-02-13 04:16:17

skottish
Forum Fellow

beachcoder wrote:
skottish wrote:

I hope that "generic" was not a mistranslation of mine. I just wanted to clarify that I did not compiled anything on my machine by myself, which may cause this problem, I just used to repositories offered by the Arch Linux community and obtain my packages with pacman.

I'm just wondering if by generic repo you enabled some repo that you read about here that isn't core, extra, testing, community, or community-testing.

#14 2010-02-13 11:06:11

beachcoder

Hi skottish,

My pacman.conf is this one. at the bottom. archlinuxfr is a repository for AUR.

[core]
# Add your preferred servers here, they will be used first
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
#Server = http://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.archlinux.org/$repo/us/i686
#Server = ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/i686/$repo/os/i686

[extra]
#Server = ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.archlinux.org/$repo/os/i686
#Server = http://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.archlinux.org/$repo/os/i686

[community]

# An example of a custom package repository.  See the pacman manpage for
# tips on creating your own repositories.
#[custom]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

[archlinuxfr]
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/i686

and the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist has only one entry incommented:

Server = ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/$repo/os/i686

I think everything with my repositories is set correct. I know that the mirror on ftp.archlinux.org is slow, but it is the most recent one.

So long,
beachcoder

#15 2010-02-13 14:55:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

I hope that you don't mind me continuing on this thread. I just want to help you get your system working properly.

You also have the archlinuxfr mirror enabled which contains non-official packages:

[archlinuxfr]
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/i686

I really have no idea if this is a problem though.

By the way, this is a slightly more readable way to look at entries in pacman.conf. It removes all lines that are commented out:

grep -v "#" /etc/pacman.conf

#16 2010-02-15 13:41:08

pressh
Developer/TU

@beachcoder: can you get a list of all packages on your machine not in core, extra or community? A simple script should help you create such a list.

#17 2010-02-18 09:35:06

beachcoder

pressh wrote:

@beachcoder: can you get a list of all packages on your machine not in core, extra or community? A simple script should help you create such a list.

Hi pressh,

how can I do this? I only know pacman -Q and yaourt -Q. Do you want to get a list of all AUR programs?

- beachcoder

#18 2010-02-18 13:33:10

pressh
Developer/TU

I quickly hacked something together which should hopefully do the trick if I didn't make any mistakes (I'm not on my arch machine atm so I couldn't really test if it works)

#!/usr/bin/python

from ftplib import FTP
from heapq import merge
import os
import re
import string

architecture='i686'

repos=['core','extra','community','testing']

ftp = FTP('ftp.archlinux.org')
ftp.login()

location=[] # initialize directory list on server
for repo in repos:
  location.append(repo+'/os/'+architecture)

filelist=[] # initialize filelist
for directory in location:
  filelist.append(ftp.nlst(directory))
[list1,list2,list3,list4]=merge(filelist)
CompleteList=list(merge(list1,list2,list3,list4))
string_list=' '.join(CompleteList)

fin,fout = os.popen4('pacman -Q')
result = fout.read()
Local=string.split(result,'\n')
LocalPackages=[]
for entry in Local:
  tmp=re.split(" ", entry)
  LocalPackages.append(tmp[0]+'-')

Official=[] # initialize lists
NonOfficial=[]

for i in LocalPackages:
  if i in string_list:
    Official.append(i)
  else:
    NonOfficial.append(i)

print "list of non official packages installed:"
print ""
for entry in NonOfficial:
  print entry[0:len(entry)-1]
print ""

[edit] fixed script, it now works correctly

Last edited by pressh (2010-02-19 10:02:24)

#19 2010-04-15 07:43:45

beachcoder

Hello pressh,

thanks a lot for your answer. I removed to another location, so I had limited internet access. Now my machine runs again, but this entrance-Problem still exists, even after performing yet another full system upgrade.

Thanks a lot for writing this script, it outputs the following lines:

./test.py:28: DeprecationWarning: os.popen4 is deprecated.  Use the subprocess module.
  fin,fout = os.popen4('pacman -Q')
list of non official packages installed:

aqpm
dfu-util
elitaire-svn
engrave-svn
epsilon-svn
esmart-svn
etk-svn
ewl-svn
exhibit-svn
exml-svn
kde-meta-kdebindings
kdeaccessibility-kttsd
kdemultimedia-strigi-analyzer
kdepim-kpilot
kdeutils-kdessh
kdewebdev-kxsldbg
libcaptury
libdownload
lives
moonlight
neotool
openmoko-toolchain
openmoko-usb-networking
package-query
shaman
yaourt

A package entrance-svn did also exists in the list, so I removed it with pacman -R entrance-svn. Now I can't reinstall it again ;(.
Do you now maybe have any ideas?

I'm not sure where these many "non-official" packages came from.

Thanks a lot!

beachcoder

#20 2010-04-15 10:53:32

pressh
Developer/TU

beachcoder wrote:
elitaire-svn
engrave-svn
epsilon-svn
esmart-svn
etk-svn
ewl-svn
exhibit-svn
exml-svn

all these packages are deprecated by upstream because they were unmaintained, broken, and mostly did not built. They were therefore also removed from the our repos.

beachcoder wrote:

A package entrance-svn did also exists in the list, so I removed it with pacman -R entrance-svn. Now I can't reinstall it again ;(.
Do you now maybe have any ideas?

this was removed with the last e17 upgrade. I think they even removed it from svn completely, like they did with some of the other packages above.

You see, they want to release a stable e17 version in a  few months. They are (actually mostly have) finalizing the packages they are going to release as stable. These will mostly be the packages which are currently in the repo,  but for example elemetary will also be released with stable e17.

entrance has had too many problems and was just unstable or not working for a lot of people. They don't want to scare everyone away with their first stable release in like 10 years I suppose.

Last edited by pressh (2010-04-15 10:56:36)

Board footer