You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-07 06:34:14

lilsirecho
Veteran

De-compress cramfs files in arch(mount -t cramfs -o loop...)

I have a number of .cmg (cramfs compressed rom files) I have downloaded.  These are linux applications and normally enter into /mnt/app,  which directory can be generated.

I desire to change fstab to enable the files in /mnt/apps to be de-compressed and executed by the App Run option also downloaded.

I assume that these files can be de-compressed by the linux system since cramfs is listed as a file system in the Kernel, not as yet enabled.

Should I enable the cramfs file system by configuring the kernel, what fstab entry would supplant the entries made by the downloaded system to enable the de-compression of the .cmg files in /mnt/app?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-01-09 22:48:07

jason

Re: De-compress cramfs files in arch(mount -t cramfs -o loop...)

Yeah, you should recompile the kernel and include the cramfs driver as a module.  As for the fstab, you don't want to do that unless you have specific cramfs images you want in each directory.  You'd just create /mnt/app and mount -t cramfs /crap/stuff/someimage.crm /mnt/app.  That should be it smile

#3 2005-01-09 23:59:25

lilsirecho
Veteran

Jason;

I had an idea it would be such an arrangement.  The fstab in Klik, an offshoot of Knoppix uses seven /mnt/app entries.

Your suggestion is to mount each .cmg separately with the usual mount command in command line.

I should think it would perform the decompress if the .cmg is always cramfs.

There is some suspicion on my part that some of the .cmg may be from squashfs or other system.

The .cmg's are generated by contributors and each can be from other fs as well as from other OS's besides debian.  The source is identified while downloading.

I guess I can incorporate the cramfs in a re-configure and give it a try.  Might keep me busy for a day or so!!!  It should perform well on Debian downloads since I suspect they are .cmg cramfs.

There may be problems with dependencies.......

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2005-01-10 00:15:23

lilsirecho
Veteran

Jason;....................One last consideration;

I have located one reference to cramfs in the Kernel Config file.

Are there cramfs tools or utils or lib files?

Board footer