You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-11 20:05:57

Keessince1988

Some GNOME/KDE settings missing?

Hi,

I'm a Debian Testing user so I'm new to Arch Linux. I've done a few installation simulations to get the Arch system know a little better.
I can't seem to get some things straight. Like the GDM/KDM settings, when I booted up and KDM/GDM appears then my mouse looks terrible ugly until I login.
In GNOME I can't seem to install the GDM settings manager. I installed a minimum installation of GNOME with the gnome-system-tools. I also did an installation with GNOME fully installed.
The GDM manager was missing there too. I need that manager to change the background and the time settings (time displayed in 24 hours, not AM/PM), I don't want to configure files. I want a GUI for this, because it's possible.

Furthermore some apps don't appear in the menus of both GNOME and KDE. So far the problem exists with putty and evince. Why is that? I don't see a reason why I should do this manually. In GNOME I can't even add launchers to the menus, am I missing a package?

One last question, is the pulseaudio daemon redundant in /etc/rc.conf? Because the deamon fails to load, but pulse does work. The pulseaudio Wiki says that it's necessary though...

Extra info:
Arch Linux x86_64 (up to date)
Default repositories, uncommented enough mirrors

Thanks in advance!

#2 2010-02-11 20:31:35

anonymous_user

Re: Some GNOME/KDE settings missing?

Configuring GDM:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gno … g_gdm_2.28

As for missing apps, go to /usr/share/application and make sure there is a desktop file for Evince and Putty. If they do exist, open them in a text editor and see if it has "NoDisplay=true" in it.

#3 2010-02-12 08:56:11

Keessince1988

Re: Some GNOME/KDE settings missing?

anonymous_user wrote:

Configuring GDM:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gno … g_gdm_2.28

As for missing apps, go to /usr/share/application and make sure there is a desktop file for Evince and Putty. If they do exist, open them in a text editor and see if it has "NoDisplay=true" in it.

The GDM solution you gave me I already tried once, I only got the gnome-appereance-properties, not the GDM manager.

I could find a desktop file for Evince, I changed the "NoDisplay=true" to false, and now it's visible. There wasn't a desktop file for Putty. sad

Board footer