Hi Arch community,
Arch Linux (archboot creation tool) 2010.02-1, "2k10-R1" has been released.
To avoid confusion, this is not an official arch linux iso release!
Check Readme.txt file for more information on archboot.
- A bigger update to last 2009.08 files, it includes the changes from core repository,
the new klibc free mkinitcpio, a lot of new code in archboot setup script to support
new name scheme of linux utilities.
- Due to the many changes bugs might slipped into setup,
so please report them immediatly if you find them.
- Lowmem images are gone, we are in 2010 i doubt there are so many
lowmem machines around there. It's been replaced by LTS kernel boot
and installation support
Hybrid image file and torrent is provided, which include
i686 and x86_64 core repository. Please check md5sum before using it.
Hybrid image file is a standard CD-burnable image and also a raw disk image.
- Can be burned to CD(RW) media using most CD-burning utilities.
- Can be raw-written to a drive using 'dd' or similar utilities.
This method is intended for use with USB thumb drives.
Please get it from your favorite arch linux mirror:
http://www.archlinux.de/?page=GetFileFr … ot/2010.02
- kernel 220.127.116.11 / LTS kernel 18.104.22.168
- pacman 3.3.3 usage
- RAM recommendations: 288 MB
- new firewire stack in >=2.6.32.x
- dropped lowmem images
- dropped klibc
- LTS kernel support
- added KMS / uvesafb support
- Adopted recent udev and initscript changes
- Boot messages rewrite and parameter documentation
- New documentation, including all start parameters
- New wireless firmware files added
(iwl-1000,6000, ar9170-fw, rt2870usb-fw)
- kms / uvesafb integration
- use load-modules script from udev
- internal sysfs and blkid changes
- KMS / uvesafb integration
- Kernel installation switch (install at least booted kernel)
- use wipefs for cleaning luks disks/partitions
- adopted LTS setup changes to quickinst script
- FTP installation mode:
- Package installation might fail, if packages from extra need to be pulled in, e.g. ntfs-3g etc.
Exit setup and apply following sed line:
sed -e -i 's#prepare_pacman_extra#pacman_conf_extra#g' /arch/setup
Relaunch setup after that.
- CD installation mode:
Further documentation can be found on-disk and on the wiki.
Last edited by tpowa (2010-02-20 09:52:04)
Tested and working Both x86 and 64bit installed on 2 different machines with out issue good work tpowa
Certified Android Junkie
Is there grub2?
Maybe it's time to reinstall
EDIT: I am on windows seven now and i am installing new iso on Virtualbox into a phsyical partition of my hard drive.
EDIT 2: Booted with new install and all work fine. Except i had to delete all MODULES LINE on rc.conf to get sound.
Last edited by agapito (2010-02-13 08:13:01)
Excuse my poor English.
no there is no grub2 support yet, it's on my todo list, it will be probably implemented in 2010.
Last edited by tpowa (2010-02-12 15:29:38)
In step 0, when choose keymap and font is something wrong. I choose lat2-16 and then screen freezing and crushing.
What keymap are you choosing? i can't reproduce this in kvm.
Last edited by tpowa (2010-02-12 19:48:10)
When partitioning hard drives, the auto-prepare option doesn't seem to work on VMware disks. It didn't with the last release and it doesn't with the current release.
Thanks for all your effort that has been put into this! Your kernels and initrds are perfect for PXE booting and I always anticipate new releases!
Well, i don't use vmware at all, so you need to help me on this. If you told me earlier i could have fixed this.
Probably does sfdisk handle those drives differently. Please contact me by email to start debugging this.
Derson5k which image is affected? arch arch64 or the -lts ones?
PS. tpowa is this release will be official?
This is an official archboot release, archboot has nothing to do with official install media.
I'm collecting here actual bug reports and success stories of archboot isos.
At the moment i know of 3 potential bugs in the current archboot scripts.
which will be fixed in next iso rebuild which will happen not too soon in order to save bandwith.
Perhaps i'll post a xdelta file when it's fixed.
1. nouveau module is not loading due to missing kernel modules.
(not a real show stopper nouveau is experimental anyway at the moment)
2. In vmware it seems that hdparm cannot calculate correctly block devices.
(affected is autoprepare feature here)
3. You have issue with keymap loading. which i cannot reproduce in kvm at all.
Are you doing any fancy stuff before changing keymap?
Emm when cd loading I "choose" arch(or nothing) and next I choose step 0(keymap "pl", font "lat2-16") and then everything is freezing.
hrm strange, are you using a real machine or an emulator?
Do other combinations work?
Strange... in virtualbox it`s look likes in real machine but not freezing and i can go to step 1.
how about other combinations of keymap and consolefont?
ok i was able to reproduce the consolefont hanging, it's because of trying to set a font on a non existent serial console.
faelar please wait ith the torrent i'm working on a rerelease of image file with mentioned fixes above.
Also please tell me how to create a torrent file, last itme pierre created the files for me.
the script is still there https://git.archlinux.de/archlinux-torr … -archlinux
ah thanks pierre
Ok folks, replaced image with a new one please use this in the future, new md5sum is:
- use latest mkinitcpio 0.6.2
- fixed nouveau_drm loading.
- fixed vmware and autoprepare handling of disks
- fixed keymap km script, to not hang on wrong /dev/ttyS0
mirrors will start syncing soon, have fun.
Tomorrow i try to create torrent files of new image.
Thanks folks for any feedback.
i tried to run archlinux-2010.02-1-archboot on VirtualBox 3.1.14 (the latest one) PUEL, and it got stack in booting, when starting rpcbind.
I can't install, because ntfs-3g is not found in package database, please help urgently, what should I do?