You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-13 04:13:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

I have a very strange git issue [Solved... nearly]

I've been using the PKGBUILD and supporting files of vimprobable2-git from AUR on three of my machines. On one of them, my 64 bit machine, I can use the PKGBUILD only one time. After that I get this error:

Initialized empty Git repository in /home/skottish/pkgbuilds/vimprobable2-git/src/vimprobable/.git/
error: The requested URL returned error: 403 (curl_result = 22, http_code = 403, sha1 = ad688af04cbae11a1ac2aca2153ac9932bc73d03)
error: Unable to find ad688af04cbae11a1ac2aca2153ac9932bc73d03 under http://www.yllr.net/vimprobable/vimprobable.git
Cannot obtain needed tree ad688af04cbae11a1ac2aca2153ac9932bc73d03
while processing commit de100856c5d69c23a8a7f03aad3e58ed4d8706c6.

At this point, I can no longer connect to the git repo even from outside of the build directory. I get the same error every time.

When I'm at this point, I can grab the build files from one of my 32 bit machines and get a successful build. It will pull down the git repo just fine. That will be the last time I can reach the git repo until I do this again. I'm very confused by this.

--EDIT--

I should mention that git works as expected everywhere else.

Last edited by skottish (2010-09-26 00:22:08)

#2 2010-02-13 15:57:05

Profjim

Re: I have a very strange git issue [Solved... nearly]

That's very strange.

#3 2010-02-13 16:03:21

skottish
Forum Fellow

Profjim wrote:

That's very strange.

Tell me about it. I've scoured everywhere looking for some sort of cached git stuff to no avail. I really have no idea why this is happening. Fortunately the build directory is tiny, so passing it through the network isn't too painful.

#4 2010-02-13 16:06:30

Profjim

Downloaded vimprobable-git from AUR here, did makepkg. All well. Did makepkg again (reusing git the existing git repo). All well. Deleted git repo, did makepkg again. All well.

x86_64. So some of that would have failed for you, if I understand you.

EDIT: and that tree does exist in the git repo I got.

Last edited by Profjim (2010-02-13 16:19:51)

#5 2010-02-13 16:41:37

skottish
Forum Fellow

Profjim wrote:

Downloaded vimprobable-git from AUR here, did makepkg. All well. Did makepkg again (reusing git the existing git repo). All well. Deleted git repo, did makepkg again. All well.

x86_64. So some of that would have failed for you, if I understand you.

EDIT: and that tree does exist in the git repo I got.

If memory serves me correctly, I think that the first time it happened was the first time that the git repo tried to update config.h. I got a complaint about config.h getting overwritten and the build failed. The PKGBUILD is set up to handle this, so I guess that it was internal to the code.

#6 2010-02-13 17:20:25

Profjim

skottish wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, I think that the first time it happened was the first time that the git repo tried to update config.h. I got a complaint about config.h getting overwritten and the build failed. The PKGBUILD is set up to handle this, so I guess that it was internal to the code.

Yeah, but it doesn't look like building or editing the config.h should affect the git repo. All the git updating is done from $srcdir/vimprobable/, all the building
and config.h overwriting in $srcdir/vimprobable-build, no?

(Just glanced at the PKGBUILD, and not looking at it right now.)

#7 2010-02-13 17:28:20

skottish
Forum Fellow

Profjim wrote:
skottish wrote:

Yeah, but it doesn't look like building or editing the config.h should affect the git repo. All the git updating is done from $srcdir/vimprobable/, all the building
and config.h overwriting in $srcdir/vimprobable-build, no?

(Just glanced at the PKGBUILD, and not looking at it right now.)

That's correct. In fact, there's nothing wrong at all with the PKGBUILD that I can see. I went as far at one point to rewrite it and I got the same results. The funny thing is that since I started the process again this morning, the problem isn't reoccuring. Do you happen to have psychic abilities to rule over git?

#8 2010-02-13 17:33:06

Profjim

Yes. I was just toying with you. Mail me a taco and I'll fix it.

#9 2010-09-25 22:31:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

Aha! I found the F'ing little bastard! And no, I haven't been stuck here since this thread begin, so don't bother.

The problem lies in mulitple directories for the same program in /var/lib/pacman/local. For instance, if one has (like I did) this:

/var/lib/pacman/local/vimprobable-git and  /var/lib/pacman/local/vimprobable2-git (both for vimprobable2 due to a sloppy PKGBUILD)

pacman/makepkg chooses the first 'desc' field (vimprobable-git) but built in the current directory (vimprobable2-git). It doesn't know what to do to in this circumstance, so it defaults to the first. This is clearly a bug in makepkg/pacman, but it's hard to find unless one is mildly to heavily retarded (all eyes point towards me. I look away as if I was popular for another reason).

--EDIT--

In the example above, I wasn't building vimprobable, only vimprobable2.

--EDIT2--

I discovered this when dzen2-svn wouldn't show the proper version. Fixed.

--EDIT3--

It's probably a combination of the 'desc' and 'provides' fields. Isolating that is where the future bug report lies. It will only exist in version controlled packages, and that makes it even more tricky to identify.

Last edited by skottish (2010-09-25 22:58:27)

#10 2010-11-07 23:28:56

ThomasAdam

skottish wrote:

Aha! I found the F'ing little bastard! And no, I haven't been stuck here since this thread begin, so don't bother.

Apologies for replying to an almost old thread -- but your original error message is indicative of having http_proxy set -- and since you're cloning over one of the dumb protocols (as git calls them) -- in this case http:// -- going through proxies can be problematic sometimes.

-- Thomas Adam

Board footer