You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-14 17:24:20

Onyros

Fluxbox apps + Auto ArrangeWindows?

This one's for the Fluxbox users out there...

I've been using DWM and an old build of Awesome (v2), but I've been missing Fluxbox which was my favourite WM for a long time before using tiling window managers.

I saw an old screenshot from a setup I used and it made me want to retry Fluxbox. I've been trying to get back to Fluxbox, but I've been stuck with a couple of things.

1. I can't assign different terminal apps (launched through gmrun with urxvt) to different workspaces. For example, I tried to make mutt always start in a given workspace, but it doesn't work. It's something I got used to with both DWM and Awesome. If I try launching the app first and then make the window remember settings, it'll assign those settings to all urxvt windows instead of all mutt windows. Is there a workaround for this?

2. I don't remember this from using Fluxbox before, so I suspect it may actually be a feature introduced after I stopped using it: ArrangeWindows, which does manual horizontal tiling of windows. Is there a way to make a given workspace tile all windows automatically?

3. This one I already looked around and found that still isn't possible, but will enter my Fluxbox wishlist: with a simple border decor for windows, there still isn't a way to change the border colors when windows are focused or unfocused - which is a simple feedback for knowing whether a window is focused or not.

Thanks in advance, guys! I confess I haven't looked into Openbox, but I bet someone will mention it. If it is my solution to that, I won't be shy to try it out. My preference for Fluxbox is only due to tradition, not much else.

#2 2010-02-14 20:51:09

jwwolf

Re: Fluxbox apps + Auto ArrangeWindows?

You can set it up application placements in the apps file

You'll need to edit your theme.cfg to change the window decorations.
Some other references for the styling(http://tenr.de/howto/style_fluxbox/style_fluxbox.html)

window.title.focus: <texture>
window.title.focus.color: <color>
window.title.focus.colorTo: <color>
window.title.unfocus: <texture>
window.title.unfocus.color: <color>
window.title.unfocus.colorTo: <color>

#3 2010-02-15 00:03:26

Onyros

Hey, first of all, thanks for replying. I know how to assign different apps to different workspaces using the apps' file rules, it's just that they don't work for terminal based apps. What I meant is that, e.g. the window assumes it's a urxvt window, not a mutt window, therefore any rules set for mutt do not work in Fluxbox.

I also know about styling, but what I was wondering was if there was an option for the Border.Color (focus and unfocus as well), which still does not exist - but will be on my wishlist wink

#4 2010-02-15 00:44:30

jwwolf

Last edited by jwwolf (2010-02-15 04:44:05)

#5 2010-03-02 20:30:18

acoolon

He..

I had a similar problem with starting irssi maximised (but with space for conky).
So I added the following to .fluxbox/apps and now I launch irssi with "urxvtc -name irc -e irssi".

[app] (name=irc)
  [Dimensions]    {1918 1030}
  [Position]    (UPPERLEFT)    {0 30}
[end]

Sorry, I dont understand this question, .. I think.
And if I understood you. Nope, I think this is not possible.

Not possible either, imho.
Why not changing the title and the icons?

ac

Board footer