You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-15 01:23:29

tjwoosta

cmatrix broke something, now everyting ncurses has flickering letters

Ive been using arch for a really long time and never had an issue like this. Today I got bored and randomly decided to install cmatrix, just to check it out.

After running cmatrix one time things started going to hell. First right after I started cmatrix for the first time wmii tweaked out and switched workspaces a bunch of times right before exiting to X with a fatal error (the first time wmii has ever done this to me). Then I startx again and try again but cmatrix works fine the second time. After about two seconds I got bored of cmatrix so I closed it, thats when I first noticed the problem.

The proble is rtorrent, htop, ncmpcpp, and anything ncurses now flickers. Well it doesnt really flicker, so much as certain characters (possibly only numbers) dissapear for a couple seconds at a time instead of just smoothly changing values.  I know for a fact everything was fine before the whole cmatrix incident. I have removed cmatrix, rebooted, and even reinstalled ncurses but it didnt help. I dont know whats going on but its driveing me crazy because my setup is all cli oriented and heavliy ncurses dependent.

Last edited by tjwoosta (2010-02-15 01:32:10)

#2 2010-02-15 04:53:59

tjwoosta

Re: cmatrix broke something, now everyting ncurses has flickering letters

I just reinstalled cmatrix so I could play with the settings and see if it helped. I found that If I have cmatrix running with the update interval at the fastet speed it makes all the other ncurses app stop flickering, but as soon as I close cmatrix it goes back to crap.

#3 2010-02-15 15:31:39

tjwoosta

Nobody's ever had this happen?

#4 2010-02-15 15:49:56

DeeCodeUh

I've run cmatrix quite a few times just for fun and that has never happened to me before.
I'd think it was something else that occurred that coincidentally happened at the same time you ran cmatrix... but I'm no professional.

Last edited by DeeCodeUh (2010-02-15 15:51:58)

#5 2010-02-19 15:46:57

tjwoosta

Well I still havnt figured out exactly what happened, or how to fix it.

I did figure out that the flickering only happens to ncurses while running X, and it doesnt happen when xcompmgr is running, even if I just use the -a option.

So it seems to me that somehow the stress from running cmatrix for that few seconds somehow broke xorg's default compositing or someting which is why X crashed. Even since logging back in after that its been doing this flickering crap.

For now Im just running xcompmgr -a as a sort of quick fix so the flickering stops untill I can figure this mess out.

#6 2010-02-19 19:48:38

fsckd
Forum Fellow

What terminal emulator are you using?

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#7 2010-02-19 20:13:45

tjwoosta

xterm

Board footer