You are not logged in.

#26 2005-10-23 18:19:29

dp
Website

Re: NetworkManager

sillywilly wrote:

It's not dead, ML on gnome.org ( http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/ )
0.5.1 was released last week.
I says it works on Gnome, KDE and Xfce on the website http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/

thank you. .. i was consulting the website of it and it contains this:

:: Latest News
Friday, May 6th - Version 0.4 Snapshot posted - VPN support, better status information

what is a little bit confusing in this case

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#27 2005-10-23 19:19:58

WillySilly

Yeah, the website isnt up to date

#28 2005-10-30 20:21:21

god

So, any recent news? And are there detailed instructions for how to get NetworkManager working? Also, what are the requirements for vpn?

Thanks again tor and sillywilly for all your work on this.

P.S. sillywilly, you've done a lot of GNOME packages lately... you deserve mad props from the peanut gallery on your work. I'm very impressed with the amount and quality of the packages you've submitted to the AUR.

#29 2005-10-31 02:30:03

WillySilly

god: Thanks smile The list is growing rapidly. I haven't gone nuts...yet wink

I haven't talk to tor much, but he did submit a patch. I don't know if its arch releated or not because I haven't looked yet. If there is a problem with bind with dbus in aur could they email me so I can correct it. So far there haven't been any problems reported, but that doesn't mean there aren't any wink

#30 2005-10-31 03:24:42

god

Any step-by-step instructions on how to get it up and running? It's clearly not as simple as a 'sudo NetworkManager' or '/etc/rc.d/networkmanager start'. I'm really interested in getting this working and beta testing for others in the Arch community.

#31 2005-10-31 07:36:10

tor

god: great that you want to test NM. Thats really needed. What hardware do you have?

When working with i usually start the NM daemon with

/etc/rc.d/networkmanagar start

To control it from userspace you then start the nm-applet from the command line. (There is a initscript for this, but i have not yet added a Arch version of it. The one in NM is fro Redhat)

You should after that have an addition in your notification area in the panel if you run gnome or any other desktop environment with support for that.

If this isnt working something obviuously isn't working. And i would appreciate feedback. To do that NM can be started as a regular application running in fx. an xterm.

Become root in a terminal and execute NM in foreground:

su
/opt/gnome/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

wait a while and if it crashes/terminates or otherwise fails. Copy and paste that output and forward it to me/forum.

The status of NM is that i got it working on my workstation but have limited testing capabilities. (I have my laptop at work)

Requires testing:
* Wireless connections
* bind interaction. NM run with dbus enabled bind for name resolution.

Not yet implemented is:
* dial up networking, is there a common way to handle this in Arch? Is there need for it?
* initscript for daemonize start of nm-applet

Known bugs:
* /etc/rc.d/networkmanager restart fails due to timing issues.

and probably more.

Regarding VPN support. That is still experimental in NM if i understand things correctly. There is plugins for generic VPNC but this is not yet part of the official release.

Beyond that i have sent my patches to the NM maillist but the essential one have not been added. (Will try to push for that in the near future.)

#32 2005-12-07 19:53:38

Blaasvis

[root@myhost networkmanager]# NetworkManager --no-daemon
NetworkManager: <information>   starting...
NetworkManager: <WARNING>         (): nm_dbus_init() could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service() says: 'Connection ":1.16" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" due to security policies in the configuration file'
NetworkManager: <ERROR> [1133988653.556590]  (): nm_dbus_init() failed, exiting. Either dbus is not running, or the NetworkManager dbus security policy was not loaded.
NetworkManager: traceback:
NetworkManager:         NetworkManager [0x805f530]
NetworkManager:         /lib/tls/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xdb) [0xb7d06d6b]
NetworkManager:         NetworkManager [0x804c741]
Trace/breakpoint trap

Well something seems to go wrong tongue
Could you shine a bit of light on it ?[/code]

Freedom is what i love

#33 2005-12-07 20:01:48

tor

Blaasvis, how did you build NM? Which configuration. It looks like you are missing the d-bus "fixes" to ease permissions due to Arch not having pam-console.

#34 2006-01-12 04:21:32

dakor

any updates to this?

freenode.net  #linuxn00b

#35 2006-01-12 13:36:27

tor

A short update.

I have patches that applied cleanly against CVS, at least a few weeks back. Unfortunately my hosting is down at the moment but otherwise they are located there, mentioned in earlier posts look for the cvs version, with src snapshot and pkgbuild.

I have tried a few times getting these patches included upstream and, almost, not getting any response. Hence, i somewhat lost focus on new development.

But other than that what's needed is testing and feedback on the work done this far. Having only one computer that i can do testing on, my workstation, limits this somewhat.

So when im back online please test it examining it and give me feedback.

#36 2006-01-13 22:44:35

_Gandalf_

I faced an error building dhclient (one of the dependicy) i think i have some library but i couldnt figure out what could be it

[wael@nasreddine dhclient]$ makepkg
==> Entering fakeroot environment
==> Making package: dhclient 3.0.3-3 (Fri Jan 13 23:41:40 PST 2006)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
==>     Found dhcp-3.0.3.tar.gz in build dir
==>     Found arch-nm.patch in build dir
==>     Found dhclient.conf in build dir
==> Validating source files with MD5sums
    dhcp-3.0.3.tar.gz ... Passed
    arch-nm.patch ... Passed
    dhclient.conf ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
==>     tar --use-compress-program=gzip -xf dhcp-3.0.3.tar.gz
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
patching file client/dhclient.8
patching file client/dhclient.c
patching file client/scripts/linux
patching file common/parse.c
patching file common/tables.c
patching file includes/dhcpd.h
System Type: linux-2.2
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2'
Making links in common
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/common'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/common'
Making links in minires
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/minires'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/minires'
Making links in dst
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/dst'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/dst'
Making links in omapip
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/omapip'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/omapip'
Making links in server
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/server'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/server'
Making links in client
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/client'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/client'
Making links in relay
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/relay'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/relay'
Making links in dhcpctl
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/dhcpctl'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2/dhcpctl'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/work.linux-2.2'
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
cc -g  -o svtest test.o ../minires/libres.a 
                libomapi.a ../dst/libdst.a
sed -e "s#ETCDIR#/etc#g" -e "s#DBDIR#/var/state/dhcp#g" 
        -e "s#RUNDIR#/var/run#g" < omapi.3 >omapi.man3
nroff -man omapi.man3 >omapi.cat3
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
cc -g  -I/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3  -I/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/includes -DLINUX_MAJOR=2 -DLINUX_MINOR=6     -c -o parse.o parse.c
cc -g  -I/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3  -I/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/includes -DLINUX_MAJOR=2 -DLINUX_MINOR=6     -c -o tr.o tr.c
tr.c:62: error: syntax error before '__u16'
tr.c:62: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
tr.c:63: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
tr.c:65: error: syntax error before '}' token
tr.c: In function 'insert_source_routing':
tr.c:212: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:213: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:219: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:220: error: '__u16' undeclared (first use in this function)
tr.c:220: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
tr.c:220: error: for each function it appears in.)
tr.c:220: error: syntax error before 'rcf'
tr.c:221: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:222: error: 'rcf' undeclared (first use in this function)
tr.c:227: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c: In function 'save_source_routing':
tr.c:257: error: '__u16' undeclared (first use in this function)
tr.c:257: error: syntax error before 'rcf'
tr.c:265: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:266: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:274: error: 'rcf' undeclared (first use in this function)
tr.c:276: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:276: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:278: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:279: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:284: error: invalid application of 'sizeof' to incomplete type 'struct routing_entry'
tr.c:292: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:292: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:293: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:294: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:299: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:299: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:301: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:305: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c: In function 'expire_routes':
tr.c:323: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:324: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
tr.c:327: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make: *** [tr.o] Error 1
cc -g  -I/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3  -I/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/src/dhcp-3.0.3/includes -DLINUX_MAJOR=2 -DLINUX_MINOR=6   -DCLIENT_PATH='"PATH=/usr/ucb:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin"'   -c -o dhclient.o dhclient.c
make: *** No rule to make target `../common/libdhcp.a', needed by `dhclient'.  Stop.
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/wael/pkgs/dhclient/pkg/etc/dhclient.conf': No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

#37 2006-01-14 10:10:39

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I have same problem. I tagged line: "cp $startdir/src/dhclient.conf $startdir/pkg/etc/dhclient.conf" but still there is the error, though, dhcdbd is already installed.

make: *** No rule to make target `../common/libdhcp.a', needed by `dhclient'.  Stop.
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

Markku

#38 2006-01-14 11:10:17

tor

The problems with compilation of dhclient is most likely due to upgrades of either gcc or glibc. I made a small patch to fix this. Everything can be found here: http://www.krill.nu/arch/dhclient/ and with a "aur-compatible" archive here: http://www.krill.nu/arch/dhclient/dhclient.tar.gz

Note that i have not done any extensive tests of this. But it compiles.

[Edit] The fix is now added by  Mirko to the aur-package meaning that the using the aur package should be preferred over my version.

#39 2006-01-14 17:40:40

WillySilly

Also Tor has updated the patch. It would be appreciated that people test the patches so Tor and I can get these patches into NetworkManager cvs

#40 2006-01-15 03:25:17

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

With the new patch it compiles everything. To run, nothing happends.... what's suppose to do? or am I  missing something?

Markku

#41 2006-01-15 10:32:43

tor

Ok, i pressume some explanation could be useful :-)

[edit] I must suffer from dementia or something completely forgot that i had written this before smile Well well lets hope that this complements the above post.

Let start by saying that this is work in progress. So don't expect anything ;-) And because of that feedback and testing is very appreciated.

Networkmanager consists of a few parts. Most essential are the nm-applet and the NetworkManager daemon application. Beyond that there are a few more parts such as VPN access and a networkmanagerdispatcher for starting the applet. Both of these are untested.

The NetworkManager is a daemon that runs in the background and is normaly started at boot from the /etc/rc.d/networkmanager script.

To control/monitor the daemon there exists the nm-applet which when started adds it self to the notification area of your panel. Should work at least in gnome and kde.

When the NetworkManager runs it will deconfigure your network and take control of it deciding which network to use if possible. You can then chose or change network by clicking the applet.

So a short explanation on how to first test NM and then how to confgure it for more common use.

In a terminal as root start the network manager with the script:

/etc/rc.d/networkmanager start

As the logged in user on a command line start the NM applet:

nm-applet

The applet should be added to your notification area. Clicking it should reveal info and let you chose which network to use.

If somethings doesn't work valuable information can possibly be found starting the NM daemon in foregground letting one read whats going on. To do that replace the first step above and instead as root run:

NetworkManager --no-daemon

The daemon will then log its actions in that window.

If everything works out it should be posible to use NM for common network use. Add networkmanager to DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf and add nm-applet to your session. To do that in gnome choose Desktop->Preferences->sessions chose the tab "Startup Programs" and add nm-applet to the list.

Further, short, reading on NetworkManager homepage: Use and admin

Another link with some useful info: http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/nm.shtml Note however that the VPN part is not yet supported

#42 2006-01-15 10:40:35

tor

rasat wrote:

With the new patch it compiles everything. To run, nothing happends.... what's suppose to do? or am I  missing something?

Could you elaborate on nothing happens? You have no network at all? No applet?

#43 2006-01-15 14:51:05

wiremore

Hi,

I just thought I should say: NetworkManager is working fine for me. I have yet to test connecting to a wireless network, but it detects a bunch of ad-hoc networks around me. Seems a little touchy, but pretty nice. I am really glad that someone is finally tackeling the network autodetecton problem in linux.

Maybe you should add the pkgbuild to the aur? Even if its not perfect, that will probably help find a lot more testers.

Thanks

#44 2006-01-16 07:37:04

tor

wiremore, nice that you have taken time to test NM. Please keep us updated on how it's going :-)

Regarding an AUR pkgbuild im not sure about that since we for the moment target NM-CVS. I had felt better about this if it was a "stable"  NM release. But later i definetly think that we should push it to AUR.

#45 2006-01-16 21:13:21

_Gandalf_

Anyone could use encryption with it? it's running fine, i can connect to Wireless but only without WEP key, if there is one (128bit) everytime i enter it, it just ask me again, i'm sure the key is correct because i tried copying it from the router config and from my rc.conf same thing :S

#46 2006-01-18 18:07:16

tor

Hi _Gandalf_

Im a little embarrassed to say that i for the moment have no access to a laptop or a wireless network. Because of this i have not been able to verify that this works.

NM should however work fine with encryption. It should use Gnomes keyring and GConf to store your keys. Do you run Gnome? If not the lack of a running GConf could be the issue.

If this is not the case im interrested in why it does not work ;-)

#47 2006-01-18 19:05:04

_Gandalf_

well yeah i use Gnome... now am running wifi-radar for the moment it's kinda lighter then NM

#48 2006-01-19 05:35:33

wiremore

Hey all,

I thought I should mention - I did get wireless to work using NetworkManager, but only sort of. I wasn't working for the longest time and kept prompting me for the key, but then eventually it connected. When it connected, it said that the network was 'unknown', when it was really called 'standard'. It correctly detected all essids and everything before, but only when the connection wasnt working. So wierd. I have had some issues with this network before using other systems though. There are several access points, some of which do not seem to work, so often I have to manually connect to each AP until I find a working one.

Also, I use xfce but network manager automatically launches gconf when it starts.

#49 2006-02-05 00:57:40

ihavenoname

When i try to build Network manager it gives me a massive amount of errors....

heres some of them mostly they are the same error for diffrent files

/usr/include/X11/Xutil.h:808: error: syntax error before '_Xconst'
In file included from eggtrayicon.h:26,
                 from applet.h:29,
                 from main.c:33:
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:39: error: syntax error before 'extern'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:43: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_drawable_get_xid'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:43: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:47: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_colormap_get_xcolormap'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:47: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:49: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_cursor_get_xcursor'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:49: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:51: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:51: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:54: error: syntax error before '*' token
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:54: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:63: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_get_default_root_xwindow'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:63: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:126: error: syntax error before 'VisualID'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:128: error: syntax error before 'xvisualid'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:137: error: syntax error before 'Colormap'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:141: error: syntax error before 'XID'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:154: error: syntax error before 'xid'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:164: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:165: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:167: error: syntax error before 'Atom'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:168: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name_for_display'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:169: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:171: error: syntax error before 'Atom'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:173: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:173: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:174: error: syntax error before 'xatom'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:175: error: syntax error before 'gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name'
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:175: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:176: error: syntax error before 'xatom'
In file included from applet.h:29,
                 from main.c:33:
eggtrayicon.h:48: error: syntax error before 'Atom'
eggtrayicon.h:48: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
eggtrayicon.h:49: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
eggtrayicon.h:50: error: syntax error before 'system_tray_opcode_atom'
eggtrayicon.h:50: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
eggtrayicon.h:51: error: syntax error before 'orientation_atom'
eggtrayicon.h:51: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
eggtrayicon.h:52: error: syntax error before 'manager_window'
eggtrayicon.h:52: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
eggtrayicon.h:55: error: syntax error before '}' token
In file included from main.c:33:
applet.h:76: error: field 'parent' has incomplete type
make[4]: *** [nm_applet-main.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/viper/Desktop/NetM/src/NetworkManager/gnome/applet'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/viper/Desktop/NetM/src/NetworkManager/gnome/applet'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/viper/Desktop/NetM/src/NetworkManager/gnome'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/viper/Desktop/NetM/src/NetworkManager'
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

In this land of the pain the sane lose not knowing they were part of the game.

~LP

#50 2006-02-05 17:14:09

tor

ihavenoname, do you have a clean install?  No xorg from testing or something like that?  Further more which version are you trying to build?  Are you using my CVS snapshot or something else?

Board footer