You are not logged in.

#51 2006-02-06 04:52:55

ihavenoname

Re: NetworkManager

tor wrote:

ihavenoname, do you have a clean install?  No xorg from testing or something like that?  Further more which version are you trying to build?  Are you using my CVS snapshot or something else?

i did a clean install and it did work....but now it says

** (nm-applet:5789): WARNING **: <WARNING>        (): org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound raised:
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

when i type nm-applet

note: b4 that i typed NetworkManager

In this land of the pain the sane lose not knowing they were part of the game.

~LP

#52 2006-02-06 05:56:16

WillySilly

Is dbus running?

#53 2006-02-07 00:41:01

ihavenoname

WillySilly wrote:

Is dbus running?

hmm how do i check that?
and if its not how would i start it?

~LP

#54 2006-02-07 13:59:39

Moo-Crumpus

/etc/rc.d/dbus start

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#55 2006-02-08 01:30:02

ihavenoname

thank you soo much i can now see the applet however when i try to connect to a network it does everything but start it i end up having to open a terminal and type dhcpcd rausb0 up. how would i make it start up the network by itself

~LP

#56 2006-02-08 06:27:40

tor

Do you have both dhclient and dhcdbd from aur installed? These are required for NM to be able to use DBUS to control DHCP.

#57 2006-02-08 20:43:20

ihavenoname

tor wrote:

Do you have both dhclient and dhcdbd from aur installed? These are required for NM to be able to use DBUS to control DHCP.

[viper@myhost ~]$ pacman -Q dhclient
dhclient 3.0.3-4
[viper@myhost ~]$ pacman -Q dhcdbd
dhcdbd 1.10-1
[viper@myhost ~]$

are those the right ones???

~LP

#58 2006-02-08 20:55:34

tor

Yep, those seem to be the right ones. Strange. Could of course be a bug.

Could you try to run NetworkManager in foreground to try seing what is going on.

As root, on a command line issue NetworkManager --no-daemon do as usual and look/forward the output. This usually give some hints on what is going on.

#59 2006-02-11 11:45:33

Blaasvis

well it works for me now, couple of remarks on the 0.5.1 patch set:
- why did you took the *.am and Makefile into your patch ?
- why patch networkmanager.conf to give EVERYONE access, better would have been to replace at_console="true" by group="users". When it will be added to official repo's i will claim a different group for it something like "network"
- also nm-applet needs to be editted as well, it also need the group="users" else nm-applet won't start.

what's the status of cvs, is a new release commin soon ? is it stable enough to be used in the gnome 2.13 repo ? else i will use the 0.5.1 release.
the repo will be anounced in the next day or so.

owh i splitted 0.5.1 patch in two parts can be found here:
http://ichigo.soulfly.nl/archlinux/

Freedom is what i love

#60 2006-02-11 16:06:47

tor

- why did you took the *.am and Makefile into your patch ?

Simply because thats the file i work on, since i work against  CVS. The patch made against 0.5.1 was more to make it simpler for people to use.

If you look at my patches provided against the cvs snapshot you can se that they are only about 28K uncompressed.

- why patch networkmanager.conf to give EVERYONE access, better would have been to replace at_console="true" by group="users". When it will be added to official repo's i will claim a different group for it something like "network"

As i said before. If you look at the cvs version this patch is already splitted

I no that this sucks. I will change that. However since this is work in progress i took the shortest path to get it up and riunning. And i actually say this in one of my posts earlier.

- also nm-applet needs to be editted as well, it also need the group="users" else nm-applet won't start.

If you look at the cvs version of the patches i have fixes for both nm-applet.conf and NetworkManager.conf however insecure as you say.

what's the status of cvs, is a new release commin soon ? is it stable enough to be used in the gnome 2.13 repo ? else i will use the 0.5.1 release.
the repo will be anounced in the next day or so.

I havent had time to work on NM for a while now. But i know that they are gearing up for a 0.6 release soon. I will see if i get some time this weekend to update my work to current CVS and fix the permisions problems you mention above. And i maybe try once more to get the patch added to mainline NM.

Regarding NM for gnome 2.13 i recomend the cvs snapshot. Which soon should be stable 0.6.

Regarding including it in the repo for 2.13 i think is great NM really needs a wider audience to actually get it into good, tested,  shape. smile

#61 2006-02-11 18:29:24

tor

Ok i have updated the cvs version of the arch patches.

They can be found here

Nothing revolutionary has happened. It compiles against the provided cvs snapshot as of 2006-02-11. It has modifications as to its dbus policies as suggested by Blaasvis above.

When testing this release i can aknowledge ihavenonames dhcpd problems. Dhcpd integration seems to be broken. (Good thing about this is that i got to test autoip which should kick in and assign the device a local ip) If i get the time i will try to fix that this weekend.

Further more there still exist a problem that avahi daemon seems to not work properly when shifting networks.

#62 2006-02-12 09:31:03

wiremore

thanks for the latest release!

i just checked it out and it seems to work well except for one thing: the initscript is broken.

/etc/rc.d/networkmanager should have

bindir=${exec_prefix}/sbin 

instead of

bindir=${exec_prefix}/bin

otherwise, it just exits with no information

#63 2006-02-12 14:27:46

Blaasvis

well, it doesn't work at all for me.
seem wpa_supplicant and networkmanager integration needs a lot of work...
my atheros driver isn't used so it doesn't even do wep for me sad
0.5.1 works fine so far.

Freedom is what i love

#64 2006-02-12 18:13:09

tor

wiremore, thanks for pointing the faulty paths out. Seems like the location of those binaries changed. I usually run NetworkManager from the cmdline so i didn't notice it :-)

I have also incorporated one patch from Robert Love which seems to help out if you are using madwifi drivers.

Updated PKGBUILD and patches can be found here as usual.

(I still havn't had any time to look into the dhcp, avahi issues.)

#65 2006-02-22 02:26:30

ihavenoname

ok so i got network manager showing me all the nearby essids however it still wont connect me to any of them...i ran it from the terminal and this is the output when i attempt to change essids....(it actually doesnt even detected when im connected to one...)

** (nm-applet:2549): WARNING **: <WARNING>        (): hal_info_vendor_cb(): dbus returned an error.
  (org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchProperty) No property info.vendor on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_13b1_d_noserial_if0

~LP

#66 2006-03-17 07:08:56

tor

A short update.

ihavenoname, sorry that i have not answered your latest post. Your problems seems quite strange. Which network card do you use? And do you run on the CVS snapshot? Unfortunately it seems like many network drivers do not work with latest NM at the moment :-(

My work on NM has been somewhat dormant lately. Partially because i have not had access to any wirless cards under Archlinux and now lately because NM requires dbus>=0.60 and Arch is still on 0.5x.

I think that Blaasvis is working on NM as well but i have no idea on the status on that or what he is doing. Blaasvis?

Things are however changing. Gnome 2.14 is released and i hope it will contail dbus>0.60 on Arch. (Im still on 2.12 cowardly not running testing) And i also got a new laptop running Arch with a wireless network card.   

So depending on what Blaasvis are up to, my plans are to soon make an effort to update my work to latest NM, 0.6.1 right now, and hopefully being able to get this version somewhat more useful for a wider audience.

#67 2006-03-17 08:06:47

ihavenoname

tor wrote:

A short update.

ihavenoname, sorry that i have not answered your latest post. Your problems seems quite strange. Which network card do you use?

Hello TOR! I use a Linksys WUSB54g wireless card. It worked on Fedora Core thou ill admit not flawlessly as NM stops working eventually. I have heard that the new Gnome has better integration with NM but i cannot verify that or to what extent...I belive i was running from cvs snapshot. I say was because that partion was accidentally erased...twice. Latley i have been overwhelmed with school work and I have not even had time to reinstall arch and fully configure it. Thus i have been using either Fedora Core or Windows (yes...i am that busy...)I will probably wait for new Dbus to re-try NM. I just want to say that I do admire the work you are doing as it does seem to be a daunting task. I wish you the best of luck.

~LP

#68 2006-03-19 06:56:07

_Gandalf_

Hello,

So first, I have a problem with dhclient, here's the output when i try to get ip for eth1 which is a wireless connection, i also tried wired one, and same output

[wael@nasreddine ~]$ sudo dhclient eth1
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

eth2: unknown hardware address type 24
eth2: unknown hardware address type 24
Listening on LPF/eth1/00:0e:35:75:95:f2
Sending on   LPF/eth1/00:0e:35:75:95:f2
Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
includes a bootp server.

If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
requesting help.

If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server@isc.org
mailing list, please read the section on the README about
submitting bug reports and requests for help.

Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
help directly to the authors of this software - please
send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
the README file.

exiting.

Secondly, I've been working tonight on the latest gnome-network-manager, I have updated nm.patch in order to work with the newer version ( Changed src/backends/NetworkManagerArch.c ), and it's compiling files/installing fine, however it ain't working for Wirless, for wired connection it is working well at least it does get a wrong IP coz of the dhclient issue, but it detects it fine, connect to it and use libnotify to notify the user...

Now when i select a wireless connection ( which is eth1 in my case ), it begin to detect it and 2 seconds after it just go back to standby ( No connection.. ) mode... roll

Also there's something dbus-related wrong...

[wael@nasreddine ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/dbus restart
:: Stopping D-BUS system messagebus                                      [DONE]
:: Starting D-BUS system messagebus                                      [BUSY]
Unknown username "named" in message bus configuration file
                                                                         [DONE]

, i think there's something missing for it... hmmm...

anyway check my current work..
PKGBUILD
nm-madwifi-wpa-driver-rml.patch
nm.patch
policy.patch

P.S: tor check ur pm wink

#69 2006-03-19 13:58:22

tor

Ok, so now i have my laptop set up with latest gnome from Blaasvis repo and have compiled the latest NM. I have looked over the patch modifications from WillySilly and _Gandalf_ and they looks fine.

Further more i can confirm that NM 0.6.1 works fine here for _wired_ networking. I however also have problems with getting wireless networking up and running.

There seems to be some issues with configuring the wireless network card. (At least with my card which uses ipw2200) If i configure it manually i have no problems with dhclient. But NM seems unable to get that far.

_Gandalf_ the problem with dbus is related to dhcdb package wanting named to get access to its interface. I dont think that it is the root to our problems.

ihavenoname, i assume that you use the prism drivers then? But since neither me or _Gandalf_ are successful with getting wireless networking up and running atm i think that we first try to verify that we are able to get it working at all first. And then focus on various drivers. But if you like, i would appreciate if you had time to verify your problems with the lateat 0.6.1 release.

#70 2006-03-19 15:23:03

tor

More updates,

After some digging i realized that the reason for my failures where that my installed version of wpa-supplicant was to old, 0.4.7 as of this writing. Its not enogh with the version provided in Archlinux. I upgraded to the latest development version of wpa_supplicant, 0.5.1, and now wireless works as well :-D

[edit] I also found a page with driverstatus that could be useful here:http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware

Since some of these binaries are newer than arch and some only exist in aur. I have uploaded my binaries here: http://krill.nu/arch/NetworkManager/nm-binaries/ to perhaps get a wider testing. I however take _NO_ responsibility in them not frying your computer or something like that. Using them are at your own risk.

Short usage note, on how i use this.

After installation is completed. Edit your /etc/rc.conf:

Remove all entries to non loopback devices that should be started at boot. In the section NETWORKING change the line starting with INTERFACES to something like this:

INTERFACES=(lo)

My network section looks like this:

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo)

Add starting of the NM service at boot ie add networkmanager to the list in DAEMONS preferably starting it in background (Adding a @ infront of it) the:

Mine looks like this:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network netfs crond dbus hal gdm @avahi-daemon @networkmanager @cpudyn @acpid @alsa)

And finaly either start NM directly

/etc/rc.d/networkmanager start

or reboot your computer

After this you should have the NM "applet" running. Looks like a crossed over rj45 cable. Clicking on it let you chose your network of choice.

#71 2006-03-19 20:11:20

_Gandalf_

Thank you tor for the update i'm trying it right away, however can you please post PKGBUILDS too please?

#72 2006-03-19 20:38:56

tor

The pkgbuild is not that different from what you provided. But they can be found here:http://www.krill.nu/arch/NetworkManager/0.6.1/

#73 2006-03-19 22:59:31

_Gandalf_

Update:

Gnome network manager is fully working, i need testers though, please test it...
Requirement: Gnome 2.14 ( dbus 0.60 )

add my repo to your pacman.conf

[wael]
Server = http://wael.nasreddine.com/files/arch/repo/wael/os/i686/

and install it using

pacman -S wael/dhcdbd wael/libnl wael/dhclient wael/wpa_supplicant wael/gnome-network-manager

and install all of them even if u have the latest one or newer one..

make sure you edit /etc/dhclient.conf to your needs

and read carefully /opt/gnome/share/NetworkManager/README

Please report any problem, it is working for wired/wireless for me, i use ipw2200, if it isn't working for u, check http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware if ur card is supported or not...

#74 2006-03-20 16:51:36

jfryman

_Gandalf_ & Tor

Just made the move from Ubuntu to Arch, but as a long-time linux user and sysadmin, I do like it much better if only for the BSD type init scripts. I think after about 7 years, I might stay with a distro for a bit.

Needless to say, I've been working on the NetworkManager applet since I arrived on Thursday, but you both beat me to the punch with the NetworkManagerArch.c

However, testing... I'm running into a few issues... it appears that NM will not utilize WPA, which is very confusing to me since it appears both of you use the ipw2200 chipset (the same I use).

It appears that the backend wants to initate WPA, but the applet tells me that WPA is not supported by my chipset. I went so far as to make sure that my local user was a member of the 'users' group as defined in the NM policy file... I'm at a standstill. Have either of you run into this one?

I've attached a copy of the debug output from NM... thoughts?

NetworkManager: <information>   starting...
NetworkManager: <information>   eth1: Device is fully-supported using driver 'ipw2200'.
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): waiting for device's worker thread to start
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): device's worker thread started, continuing.
NetworkManager: <information>   Now managing wireless (802.11) device 'eth1'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Deactivating device eth1.
NetworkManager: <information>   eth0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'natsemi'.
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): waiting for device's worker thread to start
NetworkManager: <information>   nm_device_init(): device's worker thread started, continuing.
NetworkManager: <information>   Now managing wired Ethernet (802.3) device 'eth0'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Deactivating device eth0.
NetworkManager: <information>   Updating allowed wireless network lists.
NetworkManager: <WARNING>        nm_dbus_get_networks_cb (): nm-dbus-nmi.c:522 (nm_dbus_get_networks_cb): error received: org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks - There are no wireless networks stored..
NetworkManager: <debug info>    [1142873221.061947] nm_device_802_11_wireless_get_activation_ap (): Forcing AP 'CreditControlCorp'
NetworkManager: <information>   User Switch: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/eth1 / CreditControlCorp
NetworkManager: <information>   Activated the DHCP daemon /sbin/dhcdbd with PID 5921.
NetworkManager: <information>   Device eth1 activation scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless): access point 'CreditControlCorp' is encrypted, but NO valid key exists.  New key needed.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) New wireless user key requested for network 'CreditControlCorp'.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
NetworkManager: <WARNING>        nm_signal_handler (): Caught signal 2, shutting down normally.
NetworkManager: <information>   Caught terminiation signal
NetworkManager: <debug info>    [1142873251.674988] nm_print_open_socks (): Open Sockets List:
NetworkManager: <debug info>    [1142873251.675146] nm_print_open_socks (): Open Sockets List Done.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1): cancelling...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) cancellation handler scheduled...
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1): waiting for device to cancel activation.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) cancellation handled.
NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1): cancelled.
NetworkManager: <information>   Deactivating device eth0.

James Fryman

#75 2006-03-20 21:25:17

tor

jfryman: This sound strange. I must admit that i only use plain wep without psk. So i have not tested that.

But what you are saying is that you select your network from the list. But instead of the ordinary dialog for adding keyinfo you get a dialog saying that your network card dont support wpa?

According to NMs HW page the 'ipw2200' should be fully supported.

You do use the latest wpa_supplicant (>0.5.0) preferably the latest possible? I use 0.5.1. And also the latest libnl? These are the factors that i think could matter.

The line in the log that caught my attention otherwise was:

NetworkManager: <WARNING> nm_signal_handler (): Caught signal 2, shutting down normally. 

Im not sure why this happens or if its related to the above symptoms. But i think that could be a good start to trying to understand what is going on.

Board footer