You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-16 14:14:44

davidgurvich

EDIT:nvidia binary causes kernel crash with oss4

I'm not sure of the problem and want suggestions on how to find the issue.  After installing oss4 and rebooting the kernel crashes and a kernel dump indicates that osscore.ko failed to load. Powering off and rebooting then works as oss4 has created the '/usr/lib/oss/starting' file and doesn't try to load osscore.

Deleting the starting file and trying to start oss fails on loading osscore.ko.  When I try to modprobe osscore there is an error having to do with not being able to place the module in memory, I'll post the exact error when I am on the other machine.  If I insmod the osscore.ko file then everything works.

I can disable oss on startup, insmod osscore.ko, and soundon with everything working fine.  I've used oss4 on another system where it works very well.  The one that oss4 works well on is a laptop using the i830 graphics chipset and integrated intel audio.  The one that gets the kernel dumps uses the binary nvidia-173 driver and has a C-Media 8738 graphics card.

EDIT:Changing the graphics driver to nouveau has stopped the kernel dumps and crashing of the system when oss loads/unloads modules.

Last edited by davidgurvich (2010-02-16 23:07:35)

#2 2010-02-17 16:52:29

davidgurvich

Re: EDIT:nvidia binary causes kernel crash with oss4

I was too quick.  Changing to nouveau allows the system to start with oss enabled but using soundoff/soundon/soundoff causes the system to crash.  I'm testing now to see if disabling the daemon and just using soundon/soundoff works.

#3 2010-02-17 22:49:19

mrunion
Website

I use nVidia and OSS with no crash here. Is there a config file or something I can post for you? The OSS machine is at work, so I have to get there to look at it, but it might help you.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#4 2010-02-18 02:22:48

davidgurvich

The system hard locks on start of Xorg if oss is in DAEMONS or afterwards if I cycle it.  Using soundon after xorg starts works but then soundoff/soundon causes a hard lock.  I suspect the problem is with the motherboard, very finicky about almost everything.  The problem is not triggered when booting to runlevel 3.  Alsa does not have the issue. 

I think I have an ati card somewhere and will try that out to see if I can eliminate nvidia graphics as the problem.

Board footer