You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-18 20:47:51

SHJordan

Space problem on usb using windows for format.

After using flashnul method for usb installation on windows 7 ultimate, it became accessless.

It says it was finished OK but... it doesn't show the rest of the space on my 4gb pendrive.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it???

I think it would have to be fixed on the usb itself... booting for it and then just realocating the space not used by arch for a new partition with fat32 or ntfs format.

Don't know...

i need to know how to do it, since i'm a newcomer on the linux world.

#2 2010-02-19 16:58:50

Ber
Website

Re: Space problem on usb using windows for format.

It's probably because it created a linux partition of the size you needed at the start of the disk, and left unformatted space after it.  Windows can't seethis space it if it's not at the beginning of the disk I think (not sure, if anyone can confirm)

You need to redo the flashnul stuff, but before that partition your disk in 2 partitions, with a fat32 partition at the beginning.  Give it a size "totalSize - flashnulNeededSize".

Good luck

V=RI sweet V=RI

#3 2010-02-19 17:07:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Also remember that the installation image doesn't have to stay on your pendrive once you've installed. As soon as the install is complete, you can re-format the drive anyway you want.

#4 2010-02-19 17:36:23

SHJordan

Ber wrote:

It's probably because it created a linux partition of the size you needed at the start of the disk, and left unformatted space after it.  Windows can't seethis space it if it's not at the beginning of the disk I think (not sure, if anyone can confirm)

You need to redo the flashnul stuff, but before that partition your disk in 2 partitions, with a fat32 partition at the beginning.  Give it a size "totalSize - flashnulNeededSize".

Good luck

Could you tell me how to do it? A step-by-step???

I don't know how to partition it using flashnul, nor giving it fat32 type at beginning.

=\

PS: MY pendrive have 4GB.

Last edited by SHJordan (2010-02-19 17:37:30)

#5 2010-02-22 07:59:10

Ber
Website

I'm not sure to completely understand your problem.  I thought at first that you needed a USB install stick along with a usable storage place, but it doesn't seems to be that.  Did you succeed in installing Arch on your computer's hard disk drive from the usb stick?

If so, just boot on Arch and install gparted (pacman -S gparted).

Then plug your USB key, and type dmesg in a terminal.  You should see messages regarding sdb, or sdc, or sdb1/sdc1, or anything alike.  Launch gparted as root, and carefully select your usb key (it should be labeled as you just saw in dmesg).  Delete all partitions on it and recreate one FAT32 partition, then apply changes.

Pay attention not to wipe out your main hard drive...

V=RI sweet V=RI

#6 2010-05-23 23:13:52

canolucas

on windows, you can recover the USB stick by using:
flashnul <driveletter:> -F
that will wipe (fill with zeroes) the dumped image. you can then format the stick using the windows format utility (right click the drive, and select format) coz windows will now recognize the full drive again.
good luck !
PS: if that doesn't work, there is always HP Drive Key Boot Utility

Last edited by canolucas (2010-05-24 03:12:22)

Board footer