You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-19 13:08:05

marckn

hi everyone

Hi people smile

I've been working with gentoo linux for three years and now I decided to try a different distro. I've heard a lot of good news about archlinux, and I would like to test it personally !
I use my home pc (intel core i7) for massive parallel computation (mpich2 and, soon, cuda). I need a fast and full personalizable distro, well suited for c/c++/fortran programming and relaiable. Do you think archlinux as a good choice for my needs ? (uhm, you may be a bit biased though eheheh).
I'm getting instruction for the installation from the wiki, are there any other sources of information (such as guides, tutorials, ...) for a new user that approaches this distribution ?

Sincerely,
   Marco

#2 2010-02-19 13:46:55

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: hi everyone

Arch is what you make it, so yes, you can tailor it to suit your need.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-02-19 14:02:50

jdarnold
Website

That is one of Arch Linux's greatest strengths - you make it pretty much entirely what you want it to be. It gets the basics installed and running and it is up to you to add what you want. It's so inspiring and free!

And yes, everything you need to know is in the wiki.

#4 2010-02-20 22:54:14

paldepind

marckn wrote:

I'm getting instruction for the installation from the wiki, are there any other sources of information (such as guides, tutorials, ...) for a new user that approaches this distribution ?

Most of the time you really don't need anything but the wiki. I've found that Arch's wiki is AWESOME! Before I started using Arch I would normally do a google search if I ran into a problem with my distro, but with Arch I just look in the wiki and 8/10 times the answer to my question is there for me. It's wonderful big_smile

Last edited by paldepind (2010-02-20 22:56:19)

#5 2010-02-20 22:59:14

lifeafter2am

I used Gentoo for about 7 years, almost from the beginning of their releases (think I started with 1.2 or 1.4); to me Arch is Gentoo without having to wait for everything to compile.  Its stripped down, simple, and no-frills.  Now, you generally won't get all the "speed" benefits of recompiling your toolchain 800 times with new gcc options, but I don't think you'll miss it.

smile

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#6 2010-02-20 23:06:38

ewaller
Administrator

lifeafter2am wrote:

I used Gentoo for about 7 years, almost from the beginning of their releases (think I started with 1.2 or 1.4); to me Arch is Gentoo without having to wait for everything to compile.  Its stripped down, simple, and no-frills.  Now, you generally won't get all the "speed" benefits of recompiling your toolchain 800 times with new gcc options, but I don't think you'll miss it.

smile

lifeafter2am nailed it.  As a long time fan of Gentoo, I enjoy arch for the reasons stated above.  Add to that the ABS/AUR system that allows sandboxed compiles and managed package installation and removal, you also get all the advantages of emerge. 

Arch is great if you have a modern x86 architecture.  Gentoo wins if you need support for other architectures.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer