You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-19 21:58:15

ucal

(SOLVED) Network dilema eth(n) not showing up, wireless impossible

I can configure wireless just fine, but the only wireless around here is by my university, and requires a browser to access (I have to put in my username and password through the browser to use it). 

I can't seem to get ethernet working however.  No variation of eth0 is showing up in ifconfig.  I'm worried that I might run into the same problem with wireless anyways, as ethernet connections around here require you to register your computer.  I've registered it under Ubuntu, but it might not carry over.  Right now I'd just settle for getting ethernet to be recognized by my system.

EDIT:  I should mention that Arch Linux is only installed up to the point where it's a working, basic system. I followed the steps in the beginners guide up until that point.  There's no gui, no browsers, etc etc.

Last edited by ucal (2010-02-20 18:08:08)

#2 2010-02-20 08:41:56

MadTux

Re: (SOLVED) Network dilema eth(n) not showing up, wireless impossible

How did you attempt to configure your ethernet card and what model is it? You don't need a gui or anything else to get networking. It seems strange that it doesn't show up. Maybe it needs a special driver? Are you sure that it is not a hardware issue, i.e. does it run with other Linux distros?

#3 2010-02-20 17:50:17

ucal

Re: (SOLVED) Network dilema eth(n) not showing up, wireless impossible

I think I got ethernet to work, albeit in a way I did not expect at all.  I don't have a very good confirmation of this though.

When I was connecting to my universities wireless network, I did the iwconfig wlan0 essid command, then a dhcpcd.  During the dhcpcd, I think it worked for my ethernet as well.  I eventually used links to get around my schools browser requirement and connect to the wireless.  This let me upgrade with pacman.  While upgrading, I noticed two things.  Amazing download speeds for the wireless network I was on.  4-6 megs a second.  And with big files, they tended to be corrupted.  Both of these things I've experienced before on Ubuntu when connected to my universities lan.  So I think I'm connected big_smile  Why it wasn't working before, I have no idea. 

Now I have some other problems.  I have X installed, and KDE on top of it, but now my mouse and keyboard aren't working in KDE.  They were after the initial installation, but I decided to call it a night then and shutdown the computer.

EDIT:  Figured out what the problem is, but not how to solve it.  HAL isn't starting on boot, so I have to start it manually.  It's in the rc.conf though.

Last edited by ucal (2010-02-20 17:58:12)

Board footer