You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-20 03:02:30

Trav70

[SOLVED - sort of...] Conexant modem driver compile problem

Hi,
I've searched for any answer to this, but haven't found anything yet so far in the forum here....

I'm trying to get my internal PCI conexant-chip modem to work, with the free driver from Linuxant. I just recently switched my machine to Arch, and was previously running Mandriva. On Mandriva, with the RPM package drivers, the modem worked perfectly, so I know the drivers work with my modem.
When I do a "hcfpciconfig", i get an error, and the log reports this:

*bunch of compiler stuff etc....*
/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osnvm.c: In function 'cnxthcf_NVM_Read':
/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osnvm.c:1005: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
  CC [M]  /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osresour.o
/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osresour.c: In function 'cnxthcf_OsHookInterrupt':
/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osresour.c:131: warning: the address of '__this_module' will always evaluate as 'true'
  CC [M]  /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osstring.o
  CC [M]  /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osmemory.o
  CC [M]  /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/osdiag.o
  CC [M]  /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/GPL/serial_cnxt.o
  LD [M]  /usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/hcfpciosspec.o
ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-i386 (/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/imported/hcfblam-i386.O) to
format elf64-x86-64 (/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/hcfpciosspec.o) is not supported
make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules/hcfpciosspec.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/hcfpcimodem/modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.32-ARCH'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Don't know too much about debugging compile/link errors (though I have been using various forms of linux for over 10 years now, so I'm not a linux newbie per se, and have certainly compiled my share of software from source before) but it looks like some sort of problem with 32 vs 64 bit architectures? The driver sources that I was compiling were the only ones available for download on the Linuxant website, so they are the newest available.

Am I missing some config variable that needs to be changed during the compile process?

I would appreciate greatly any sort of help that anyone can provide on this....
Thanks,

PS - I don't use the modem for dial-up internet - it's for a specific business use that can only be accessed by dial-up modem, and if possible, I'd rather avoid paying $140 for a new external USRobotics serial modem, since even though it is critical to my business, it only gets used once a month, and I had it working perfectly well under Mandriva linux up until last month.....

Last edited by Trav70 (2010-03-03 22:40:11)

#2 2010-03-03 22:44:09

Trav70

Re: [SOLVED - sort of...] Conexant modem driver compile problem

Well, I didn't ever solve the compile problem......
I just ended up buying an external serial modem, brand Hiro.
Was only $39.95, so it was well worth the expense to have a working modem again.
I'm glad I didn't pay for the full speed conexant driver without first testing it out.

Trav

Last edited by Trav70 (2010-03-03 22:44:44)

Board footer