You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-21 20:20:52

wankel
Website

How to disable two finger right click? (studio xps 1640)

I just got a new a laptop (xps 1640), and am having a hell of a time trying to get the touchpad configured. On windows 7, I can use multiple fingers to do things. However, on linux, the touchpad can not recoginze more than one finger. So I had to emulate two finger scroll. The problem I have is whenever I try to use twofinger scroll now, it will register as a right click. I thought I disabled it but no matter what I do its still there. Here is my .fdi file, if anyone can tell me whats making this happen I will greatly appreciate it, thanks!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.product" contains="Synaptics Touchpad">
        <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input.touchpad</append>
    </match> 
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">on</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.Protocol" type="string">auto-dev</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">0</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">0</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxTapMove" type="string">200</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">true</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.MinSpeed" type="string">.5</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxSpeed" type="string">.6</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelFactor" type="string">.2</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" type="string">10</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinW" type="string">7</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.UpDownScrolling" type="string">0</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.CircularScrolling" type="string">true</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Last edited by wankel (2010-02-21 20:22:19)

#2 2010-02-25 12:52:10

miau

Re: How to disable two finger right click? (studio xps 1640)

Maybe it has something to do with the Z value, that your touchpad doesn't recognize two fingers correctly.

Have a look at this thread, it could be a solution: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77005

#3 2010-02-25 14:24:03

wankel
Website

miau wrote:

Maybe it has something to do with the Z value, that your touchpad doesn't recognize two fingers correctly.

Have a look at this thread, it could be a solution: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77005

Thanks for the response miau. After playing around with it for a while here is what I came up with. When I first installed and configured arch on this laptop, synclient was giving me two different values for EmulateTwoFingerW. Id get either a 5 or a 15 with two fingers on the pad. With 15, I can configure things fine with the Z value. However, with the 5 value I can not do anything.

But now after a clean install, Im only getting the 5 value. Ive tried using ubuntu and sabayon and I have the same problem in both. What could I be doing that would alter the values of my touchpad on every boot?

#4 2010-02-25 16:39:43

miau

So your Z value is 5 with two fingers touching the pad? Does the value increase if you use 3 fingers?

Last edited by miau (2010-02-25 16:41:11)

#5 2010-02-25 17:07:24

wankel
Website

miau wrote:

So your Z value is 5 with two fingers touching the pad? Does the value increase if you use 3 fingers?

My W value is 5. When I put two fingers down my Z value changes rapidly between 60ish and 120ish. Not sure what happens with 3 fingers, as synclient only detects a max of 1 finger on the touchpad. Even though in windows7 my touchpad is capable of multitouch gestures.

#6 2010-02-25 17:27:06

miau

Could you post all values given by synclient as it is suggested in the wiki:

"Some users might need to modify the EmulateTwoFingerMinW parameter, as their touch pads sense two fingers as one wide finger. You can check which parameters you need to modify by running synclient -m 150 -- when you touch two fingers to the touch pad, observe which parameters (z, w, or f) change. Those will determine the minimum threshold values you must set (if f changes, don't bother with EmulateTwoFingerMin[W,Z]  since you do not need to emulate two fingers, your touch pad can simply sense two different fingers). "

#7 2010-02-25 17:29:29

wankel
Website

miau wrote:

Could you post all values given by synclient as it is suggested in the wiki:

"Some users might need to modify the EmulateTwoFingerMinW parameter, as their touch pads sense two fingers as one wide finger. You can check which parameters you need to modify by running synclient -m 150 -- when you touch two fingers to the touch pad, observe which parameters (z, w, or f) change. Those will determine the minimum threshold values you must set (if f changes, don't bother with EmulateTwoFingerMin[W,Z]  since you do not need to emulate two fingers, your touch pad can simply sense two different fingers). "

My issue is that putting down two fingers or one, the W value doesnt change unless I lay my finger down flat on the touchpad, in which case the W value will reach 15. Im at work right now but Ill post up the info when I get home. I appreciate your help smile I had things configured nicely on my old laptop, but for some reason this new one is trying to kill me

Board footer