You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-22 05:14:26

Gen2ly
Website

[Solved] ATI (KDE?) draw problem. Scrolling up is leaving tracers...

Trying to setup an old laptop and everything is going good so far.  I got everything about as I need except the graphic card(?) is giving me problems.  I typically work with a smaller window on top of another and use the scroll to look through content on a lower window (like a web-browser) while the original window stays on top.  If I scroll up while doing this it will leave tracer marks:

vM21xYw

Yeah, I could even get it in a snapshot.  I used 'X --configure' to create my xorg.conf but I also tried without an xorg.conf with the same effect.  The graphic card is older:

lspci:        VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon IGP 330M/340M/350M 
factory list: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 4X AGP and 3D architecture     64MB DDR SDRAM (shared)

64 MB of memory shouldn't be a problem I'd think ("1024*768*24" = 18874368).  Am using KDE 4.4 without desktop effects.  The odd thing here is that if I enable Desktop Effects in KDE the tracers stop.  However... it is REAL slow when I do this (scrolling), desktop effects...  Am using the 'xf86-video-ati' driver.  Any thoughts on what I might try to fix this?

Last edited by Gen2ly (2010-02-23 04:18:13)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#2 2010-02-23 01:27:26

Gen2ly
Website

Re: [Solved] ATI (KDE?) draw problem. Scrolling up is leaving tracers...

Been trying it for the last half-hour and it looks like this is a kde/qt bug.  I know the programmers of Qt added a lot of better/more-advanced rendering abilities to Qt (basically for newer cards).  Thinking because my card is old, and that the xf86-video-ati driver is still relatively new, that there is something going on.  I have discovered, that when I enable Desktop Effects and then disable it again well, it works fine... at least for the last half hour smile.  Even got air, panel theme to look right:

vM24yNA

Perhaps I'll try the catalyst driver in the future here and see if it helps.

#3 2010-02-23 04:16:59

Gen2ly
Website

Ok, got this figured out.  Forgot to add AGPMode to my xorg.conf which makes a big difference.  Still got the black air panel bar on the bottom if not using Desktop Effects but actually it looks like I might not need it.  On this old graphic card I pretty much figured DE was pretty much out, but actually DE aren't too bad, and the tracers are gone so I'm pretty happy.

#4 2010-04-09 23:11:17

Gen2ly
Website

Actually this turned out to be the drop down terminal which was thinking that transparency was enabled.  Enabling compositing in my xorg.conf fixed this:

Section "DRI"
  Group "video"
  Mode  0666
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
  Option "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
  Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Board footer