You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-12 00:43:03

ChrisX

Nvidia driver trouble :: RESOLVED ::

Hello all, I have just installed ArchLinux on a new Dell computer of mine.  It has a GeForce FX 5200 video with 128 MB of ram.  Arch installed and boots wonderfully, but the nvidia driver is giving me trouble.  My initial setup of xorg was wonderful.  I used Xorg -configure to have a xorg.conf file generated.  The only thing it couldn't detect was the mouse, which I took care of.  This config file used the "nv" driver which works well.  I then went further and installed the current nvidia driver package with pacman -Sy nvidia and it installed perfectly.  The module loads at boot time with no warnings or errors, and immediately after the module is loaded 2 nvidia nodes are created in the /dev directory ( I use udev ).  After I installed the nvidia driver I did used the command Xorg -configure to create another xorg.conf file and the new one was more advanced/complex and added the "nvidia" driver option as the driver automatically.  The problem I have is that when the xserver starts, the image quality is poor.  It appears as if I am running at 4 bit color ( 16 colors ).  Everything is grainy and poor quality, but the window managers and desktop environments load quickly and work flawlessly.  Also, it appears that 3D accleration/OpenGL is not working, because when try to run glxgears I get the error message

glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Chris

#2 2005-01-12 01:10:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Nvidia driver trouble :: RESOLVED ::

Post the entire contents of your xorg.conf file (preferrably in a code or quote block to make it easier to read in the forums) and we can take a look at it and fix it up.  It's probably a small problem.

#3 2005-01-12 01:10:56

ChrisX

Never mind.  I just hacked the hell out of the xorg.conf and finally got it to work.  Thank you all any way.

-Chris

#4 2005-01-12 01:37:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ChrisX wrote:

Never mind.  I just hacked the hell out of the xorg.conf and finally got it to work.  Thank you all any way.

-Chris

I would assume it had to do with some missing modules... dbe and glx

Board footer