You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-12 11:58:38

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

[games] quake2

this is probably a bit retro for most people but i wanted to try to make pkgbuilds for it - so I did!

I can't get alsa to compile, or the rogue extention and i have not actually tried to build the demo.  have sucessfully built and run xatrix and main quake2 - the ctf server builds fine too - the sound is screwed up on my system tho

you do need a FULL version of quake2 to play the full game - and you will need to d/l the most recent version (3.2) if you haven't already - the pkgbuild should sort all of that for you tho, which is the whole point!)

Of course you also need the retail versions of the extentions smile

you can check out the pkgbuilds here

#2 2005-01-15 10:51:49

skoal
Website

Re: [games] quake2

I recently installed quake2 on my linux box.  There were several clients you could use.  I think one was from Id itself, and the other from Icculus (I think).  Which one did you use?

I believe I used the one from the Id site, and the only bug was an occasional loss of sound only when I reloaded a saved map.  The easy fix was just to go back and re-apply the sound setting in the main menu.  By the way, I can't remember where I stumbled across the post, but someone, whether it was Id (unlikely), Icculus, or another, just recently updated their client within the last week.

* Have you already completed the single player scenario?  If so, did you find the secret passage after you fight the final boss?  That's some pretty good shiiiit...Carmack's hair looked like Exxon had offshore drilling rights to it.

#3 2005-01-16 03:52:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

LOL - yeah i finshed it in windows - this is icclus's stuff - it works ok for me but i can't get it to compile with alsa - this may be because i am running a custom kernel with a dev version of alsa tho  roll

#4 2005-02-06 10:58:02

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

icculus updated his stuff and apparently he has fixed the alsa compile bug - if the sound being screwed up (see my original post) was bothering you try rebuilding it now smile

I'll report back.  Aside from the sound the performance has been sweet for me smile

#5 2005-02-07 11:18:45

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i rebuilt - alsa compiles ok now.

skoal - what sound device do you set in your config?  i just get alsa buffer underuns and a hideous stacatto machine gun noise if i can get any sound at all!  that is when i set the device as default.  i have to use a dmix plugin. i have this prob with both my compiled bins and the pre-compiled ones from ID

PKGBUILD
i updated the pkgbuild for the new version but am going to overhaul the build to allow the option to simply link the .pak files from your windows partition smile just to save some space smile

i overhauled the PKGBUILD - i didn't do the demo and extention PKGBUILDS yet smile

#6 2005-02-09 11:03:24

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

all PKGBUILDS now current except demo

#7 2005-02-26 08:49:55

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

updated the quake2-rogue PKGBUILD - it will now build perfectly - i missed a # in the sed command  roll

Board footer