You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-25 19:11:32

crypt

kernel panics (vista involved?)

I started this thread in the laptops section, because it was such a weird error, but they referred me over here, saying that what I was experiencing was most likely a kernel panic and suggesting I check /var/log.

Symptoms: for no particular reason, linked to no particular program or computer activity, my computer sometimes freezes when running Arch.  This didn't happen for a while, but started quite recently.  Any sound that was playing repeats the same last note over and over again, the mouse/keyboard (er... touchpad) don't work, and I have to hard-power-down.  I'm running a Dell Inspiron E1705, ATI X1400 graphics card, Intel Core 2 Duo machine with 32-bit arch (haven't gotten around to upgrading to 64 bit yet).

I checked my /var/log/kernel.log, and it appears to be filled with mostly-normal messages, but then absolute jibberish just before the freeze.  Amidst the huge row of "^@" (random binary, I think), there are scaterred legible entries of directories from the vista partition of my hard drive.  That drive is mounted to /vista so that I can read it from Arch, so it seems possible that something on that drive is causing the problem.

Is there any easy way to fix this?  Would unmounting the drive (or, setting it so that it never automounted at all) probably fix the problem, or should I compile some kernel of my own to try to fix it?

I'm new to kernels and kernel panics, so I can't recognize problems/solutions yet at all.

#2 2010-02-25 20:53:09

Coacher

Re: kernel panics (vista involved?)

The first thing I'd do is to mount ntfs partition to read-only

mount -r

or disable mounting at all.
Try it and write here your experience.

P.S. What ntfs driver do you use, the kernel's one or ntfs-3g?
Maybe you should try ntfs-3g which has more features than default kernel's.
Wiki page http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS_Write_Support

#3 2010-02-25 22:30:47

crypt

Will do, thanks.  I use ntfs-3g already, and it's mounted in the fstab.  I commented out that line, so from now on it won't be mounted on boot.

The main problem (er... 'problem') is that it happens very infrequently, usually just once every few days.  I'll leave it unmounted for a while, and if it freezes still, I'll be back to let you know.  If I'm not back for a few weeks, then you can probably assume that fixed the problem.

#4 2010-03-04 05:17:14

crypt

ok... so I disabled mounting of my vista partition, and I'm still getting freezes every once in a while.  I'm not sure how to read the kernel log, but this is the sort of thing that was happening when it froze.

Feb 23 20:05:13 crypt kernel: wlan0: associated
Feb 23 20:05:13 crypt kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
Feb 23 20:05:24 crypt kernel: wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
Feb 23 20:35:55 crypt kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x8d on isa0060/serio0).
Feb 23 20:35:55 crypt kernel: atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e00d <keycode>' to make it known.
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@\
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@\
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@\
^@IPSEF.SF^@^@MANIFEST.MF^@^@eclipse.inf^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@/usr/share/eclipse/features/org.eclipse.help.source_1.1.1.R35\
x_v20090811-7e7eFAnFEx2XZoYz0uPgIfwD^@^AMETA-INF^@^@eclipse_update_120.jpg^@^@epl-v10.html^@^@feature.properties^@^@feature.xml^@^@licens\
e.html^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@/usr/share/eclipse/features/org.eclipse.help.source_1.1.1.R35x_v20090811-7e7eFAnFEx2XZoYz0uPgIf\
wD/META-INF^@^@ECLIPSEF.RSA^@^@ECLIPSEF.SF^@^@MANIFEST.MF^@^@eclipse.inf^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@/usr/share/eclipse/features/o\
rg.eclipse.help_1.1.1.R35x_v20090811-7e7eFAnFEx2XZoYz0uPgIfwD^@^AMETA-INF^@^@eclipse_update_120.jpg^@^@epl-v10.html^@^@feature.propertie\
s^@^@feature.xml^@^@license.html^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@/usr/share/eclipse/features/org.eclipse.help_1.1.1.R35x_v20090811-7e7\
eFAnFEx2XZoYz0uPgIfwD/META-INF^@^@ECLIPSEF.RSA^@^@ECLIPSEF.SF^@^@MANIFEST.MF^@^@eclipse.inf^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@/usr/share\
/eclipse/features/org.eclipse.jdt.source_3.5.1.r351_v20090810-0600-7r88FEoFI0WTo6Az-1qFRHm37ChJ^@^AMETA-INF^@^@eclipse_update_120.jpg^@^\
@epl-v10.html^@^@feature.properties^@^@feature.xml^@^@license.html^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@/usr/share/eclipse/features/org.ecl\
ipse.jdt.source_3.5.1.r351_v20090810-0600-7r88FEoFI0WTo6Az-1qFRHm37ChJ/META-INF^@^@ECLIPSEF.RSA^@^@ECLIPSEF.SF^@^@MANIFEST.MF^@^@eclipse\
.inf^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@/usr/share/eclipse/features/org.eclipse.jdt_3.5.1.r351_v20090810-0600-7r88FEoFI0WTo6Az-1qFRHm37Ch\
J^@^AMETA-INF^@^@eclipse_update_120.jpg^@^@epl-v10.html^@^@feature.properties^@^@feature.xml^@^@license.html^@^B^@^@^@^@K0R\233^@^@^@^@^\
@Feb 23 21:15:33 crypt kernel: Linux version 2.6.32-ARCH (tobias@T-POWA-LX) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 9 14:46:08\
UTC 2010
Feb 23 21:15:33 crypt kernel: KERNEL supported cpus:
Feb 23 21:15:33 crypt kernel: Intel GenuineIntel
Feb 23 21:15:33 crypt kernel: AMD AuthenticAMD
Feb 23 21:15:33 crypt kernel: NSC Geode by NSC

rendered in emacs... so I think that the ^@^@^@^ stuff is random binary.  Gedit says that it can't render the characters correctly because the coding was unrecognized as well.

However, since unmounting the vista partition (er... just commenting out the line in the fstab that mounts it), none of my freezing has left any marks like that in the log.  The computer still freezes, though.  This is the end of the log at the last time it happened.

Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0f:7d:16:21:51 (try 1)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: direct probe responded
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:7d:16:21:51 (try 1)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:0f:7d:16:21:51 by local choice (reason=3)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0f:7d:16:21:51 (try 1)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:0f:7d:16:21:51 by local choice (reason=3)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0f:7d:16:21:71 (try 1)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: direct probe responded
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:0f:7d:16:21:71 (try 1)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: authenticated
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: associate with AP 00:0f:7d:16:21:71 (try 1)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:0f:7d:16:21:71 (capab=0x1 status=0 aid=897)
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: wlan0: associated
Mar  3 11:24:04 crypt kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
Mar  3 11:24:15 crypt kernel: wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
Mar  3 12:18:17 crypt kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 90 on CPU 0.
Mar  3 12:18:17 crypt kernel: You have some hardware problem, likely on the PCI bus.
Mar  3 12:18:17 crypt kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Mar  3 13:42:09 crypt kernel: wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:0f:7d:16:21:71 by local choice (reason=3)
Mar  3 13:42:09 crypt kernel: b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)
Mar  3 13:42:09 crypt kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

so it looks like it's a hardware problem.  Next questions would be: first, is it safe to re-mount the other partition, assuming that the same PCI bus problem was causing the binary-spouting before, or do I have two separate problems?  Second, how serious is a PCI bus problem, and will the computer still function (with the periodic freezing, of course), or will it just continue to get worse until it eventually stops working altogether?

#5 2010-03-05 18:30:38

Coacher

The first question. Well, it could be two separate problems, unless one of them unsolved you have risk to lost some data during kernel panic.
The second question. This bug is not known for me and not well known for google too. I need a couple of days to think/search about it. Btw, isnt this bug somehow connected with battery , for example when plugging or unplugging AC, or overheating?

#6 2010-03-05 19:13:25

crypt

I'm not sure.  It very well could be.  The plastic on my power cord has split (Dell makes very lousy power cords), and the internal wires, which the plastic was supposed to connect, have started fraying.  A few of them have snapped, and it's being held together by duct tape right now.  The computer says that it can't recognize my power cord type, immediately after it turns on (before selecting the OS to boot into, even), and says that if I don't use a Dell one, the computer may run slow or something... but 90% of the time, it seems like it works fine.  The battery is also nearly dead... though it does hold something like 5-10 minutes of charge.  I can unplug and plug my power cord in without it freezing, though, so I don't think that's the main problem.

Overheating... also possibly, but I'm not sure how you could tell.  My processor is Intel... so theoretically it runs cooler than an Athlon would?  The laptop does get pretty hot, for sure, but it's done that for as long as I've had it.

I have no idea if that information is relevant to this problem, though.

Thank you, by the way, for your help on this.

Last edited by crypt (2010-03-05 19:14:01)

#7 2010-03-10 17:25:55

Coacher

Hi there, crypt.
I've done some search and the results are here.
First, what is NMI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-maskable_interrupt
"NMIs are typically used to handle non-recoverable errors, which need immediate attention"
also take a look here if you are interested:
http://x86vmm.blogspot.com/2005/10/linu … dware.html
So, its could be hardware problem. What says lkml.org about it:
"NMI can occur for a number fo reasons:

I/O check from a card
Parity error from memory
DMA timeout
Watchdog timer expiry
INT 2 instruction"
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-List … /4763.html
I would also add that

grep -r "likely on the PCI"

in kernel sources returns ./arch/x86/kernel/traps.c. There is only one line with such message, line 319 in mem_parity_error function.
So, first advise is to take memtest and check your RAM heavy.

But while googling I found these two threads from Ubuntu bugtracker.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/116752
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/5537
People there have different "unknown reasons numbers"  from yours but several solutions provided.
Here are the short story:
-try disabling any desktop effects if you are using it
-if you are using proprietary video drivers try to switch to open-source or vesa driver
-if you are using some of the powersaving modules try avoid using it for a while
-some users had problem with bad network driver. which one do you use?
-try adding "nmi_watchdog=1" to your kernel boot parametrs and check /proc/interrupts for NMIs as said here
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document … tchdog.txt

#8 2010-03-10 17:30:07

Coacher

crypt wrote:

Mar  3 12:18:17 crypt kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 90 on CPU 0.
Mar  3 12:18:17 crypt kernel: You have some hardware problem, likely on the PCI bus.
Mar  3 12:18:17 crypt kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Mar  3 13:42:09 crypt kernel: wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:0f:7d:16:21:71 by local choice (reason=3)
Mar  3 13:42:09 crypt kernel: b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 410.2160 (2007-05-26 15:32:10)
Mar  3 13:42:09 crypt kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

Well, am I right that there was pause for more than an hour between "Dazed and confused..." and hangup?
Just to be sure that we are trying to solve the real problem, because there are a number of posts on different forums where people doesnt have any problems except this message in logs.
And another question. How long do you have this issue? Does it come with another system update? Do you have such hangups in other OSes, e.g in Vista?

P.S. A new stable version of NTFS-3G is out: 2010.3.6. Try when it will be in extra, maybe it will solve that bug(???) with vista partition.
P.P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by Coacher (2010-03-10 17:36:58)

Board footer