You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-26 10:39:17

solstickan

Huawei 1550 on a Toshiba Tecra 8100

I'm running Arch on a Toshiba Tecra 8100 and are trying to install a Huawei 1550 3G modem (connecting to the internet). I have had some problem with this and have not been able to get it working. I need your help with this!

Firsst a specification of my computer
CPU: PIII / 700 Mhz
RAM: 192 Mb (extended with 64Mb)
HD: ~6 Gb
USB: 1 port (1.1)

I have been trying to get the modem to work by using a tutorial for Ubuntu and making a few adjustments. The basics of the tutorial is.

1) Remove the module 'usb_storage' with either "modprobe -r usb_storage" or "rmmod usb_storaqge". This is to get access to the "whole" modem, there is a virtual CD on it which have drivers for windows. If this virtual cd-drive is accessable the modem is said to not be able to use in Linux. I have tried with this virtual cd-drive enabled and disabled with the same results!

2) Activate the module 'usbserial' with "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1446". This is to load the necessary modules to be able to communicate with the modem. the vendor and product ID's may differ between modems. I've gotten my ID's by using 'lsusb'.

3) I Type "ls /dev/ttyUSB*" to check if the modem is acessable. This is really not needed but a test to see if I have connected it the right way. In this test I am supposed to get 3 USB units, I only get 2 and this is where my problem is!

4) Run wvdial and you connect to the internet. You will have needed to configure the wvdial.conf according to your service provider. (provided below)

The problem is that the USB modem is not identified corectly as I can understand. I have tryed disabling and enabling all kind of modules without getting it to work properly. I have been able to get it working in Ubuntu which sugest that I shoudl be able to get it working in Ach. My Ubuntu computer does how ever have USB 2.0 which may by why the modem don't run in Arch.

I now need your help, what could be wrong?

wvdial.conf file for a Swedish service provider

[Dialer Defaults]
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem TYPE = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","data.comviq.se";
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
username = username
Dial Command = ATDT
password = password
Baud = 460800

#2 2010-02-26 19:21:00

miau

Re: Huawei 1550 on a Toshiba Tecra 8100

Are you a member of the tty group?

#3 2010-02-26 19:56:34

kevinmchapman

Re: Huawei 1550 on a Toshiba Tecra 8100

You need usb_modeswitch from AUR and some udev rules to switch the USB device from storage mode to modem. After that it works like any other modem. I followed these instructions:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=508264

I don't recall using the patch (it was a few months ago), but the rest did the job.

Board footer