You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-27 19:26:38

Grandpa_Joe

Install Arch without floppy, DVD, netboot or USB?

I wanted to replace Ubuntu with Arch this weekend (for no reason other that tinker about a bit) but realised that I'm out of DVD's and can't get one until Monday. The PC is an old HP Pavillion with no USB boot support and no floppy. It has netboot support but I don't have another machine at the moment that I can setup.

Is there some way I can add a line to grub to make it boot from a memory stick at /dev/sdg? Nothing relevant coming up from my googling. I appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,
Gramps.

#2 2010-02-27 21:07:08

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Install Arch without floppy, DVD, netboot or USB?

Several options:

Grub would need the USB drive added to the map file.  But it would not hurt to go to the Grub command line and see if the USB drive shows up on tab complete.  Are you using Grub1 or Grub2?

PLoP (installed to hard drive?) might be able to kickstart a USB boot.

Do you have another machine with usb/cd booting?  Just yank the drive and temporarily switch it into the more convenient computer for the install process.

Do you have a free partition to install to?  The Arch installer can be run from within Ubuntu.

Getting silly now*, but if you have two free partitions, make one just big enough for the ISO and extract it to the partition.  Add a line to Grub, and you can boot the installer from the hard drive.

* Though this is how I install most of my computers.  After installation, I keep the little partition around as an emergency rescue OS in case something goes very wrong with the big OS.

Last edited by keenerd (2010-02-27 21:16:15)

Board footer