You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-01 17:30:28

Sly

[SOLVED] Monitor: Unknown

Hey. So when initially installing and configuring Arch I had problems when testing X. I'm using an ATI Readon HD 4870x2 and installed the xf86-video-radeonhd graphics card driver. Anyway, my friend told me to remove xorg.conf as you can run it without the file, I did so and it worked fine. I installed Gnome and I'm using it now.

When I first booted into it I could tell the resolution was not correct for the screen, so I went to sysem > preferences > display and it tells me my monitor is unknown. The resolution I'm using now is 1280x1024, which is also the max available. My resolution should be 1680x1050, but I'm unable to select it, it isn't there. Anyway, effects such as minimising and the like are also disabled. Based on what I know from using other Linux distros, I should be able to enable these effects from system > preferences > appearance > visual effects (tab, on the far right) - right? This tab isn't there.

So, is my issue soley down to not being able to recognise the monitor or are my graphics card drivers not installed/configured correctly?

Cheers.

Last edited by Sly (2010-03-02 17:23:10)

#2 2010-03-01 18:20:57

wriggary

Re: [SOLVED] Monitor: Unknown

Sly wrote:

Based on what I know from using other Linux distros, I should be able to enable these effects from system > preferences > appearance > visual effects (tab, on the far right) - right? This tab isn't there.

AFAIK, thats a Ubuntu thing. (I haven't used Gnome in about a year, though)

Anyway, it sounds like there is something else wrong with the video setup, if it detects your monitor as unknown.  (well, if i remember, mine detects as UNKNOWN too, but all the right resolutions are in there.)  Anyway, most of the progress on the open source radeon driver has been taking place under the xf86-video-ati driver, not xf86-video-radeonhd.

Try removing (pacman -Rd) xf86-video-radeonhd and installing xf86-video-ati, and rebooting.  Also, check this thread:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79509

And also the wiki:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

As far as visual effects goes, when you install Gnome in Arch, it only installs metacity as the window manager.   Ubuntu and the like use compiz as their WM.  For more information on installing compiz, check the wiki

#3 2010-03-01 19:25:36

Sly

Alrighty, thanks for the tip mate, my resolution is fine now. Just regarding the minimising visual effect, is this part of Compiz? I always assumed it was a default gnome feature.

#4 2010-03-01 20:18:42

wriggary

The only minimizing effect that metacity has is the "smaller and smaller boxes" (tough to describe... this is what I'm talking about)

Anything more advanced than this is controlled by compiz.  I think Ubuntu on "High" graphics uses the zoom minimize effect. (At least on 8.04 and 8.10... its been a while smile )

Board footer