You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-02 20:36:27

JHeaton

Mounting issue.

Hiya.

So, I've found myself in a weird situation that I have never encountered before. If I put a CD or DVD in to my computer, I can play it with VLC, rip it with Sound Juicer/dvd::rip etc. but when it comes to actually mounting it I get issues. Thunar doesn't mount the audio CDs at all (they don't show up in the sidebar, I mean) but it does attempt to mount other CDs, DVDs and removable USB drives. I have the volume manager enabled. However, it fails each time with the following error.

Failed to mount "Bleach 1"

Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
Rejected send message, 1 matched rules;
type="method_call", sender=":1.35" (uid=1000 pid=2470 comm="exo-mount)
interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"
member="Mount" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0
destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=1870 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))

Like I said, I can watch DVDs and listen to CDs fine, but can't get at the files on them. Additionally, if I was to do "ls /media/cd" or "ls /media/dvd" there are no files to see, so I'm not sure what's going on. I was under the impression that discs and devices have to be mounted before you could access them. hmm

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it a lot. So far I haven't been able to make any progress with this.

Kind regards,

Joel.

#2 2010-03-02 21:53:24

pseudonomous

Re: Mounting issue.

I know that, for instance, vlc doesn't mount the cd/dvd and then read files from the mount point, it opens the device file associated with the dvd/cd reader, like /dev/cd0 or /dev/sr0 (for a dvd) and reads date from the device directly (or through the special file in dev, anyway), so these programs don't require permission to mount the disk they merely require permission to read the special file corresponding to the device in /dev.

If you want to be able to mount cd's you might have to edit the hal rules, see:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL … _Configure

It might turn out, though, that all you need to do is add your user to the "optical" group.

If you fail to mount ANY media (usb, etc ...) you will almost certailnly have to edit HAL rules to allow thunar to mount the files.

You should, however, always be able to do a:

sudo mount /dev/cd0 /mnt

to mount a disk manually.

Hope this helps, I know I haven't given a real great explanation of what's going on with HAL, but there's a lot of posts about this, plus the wiki and I'm sure information available via google, so I'm sure you'll be able to figure this out.  Also, I'm not really enough of any expert on hal to be able to really walk you through the steps off the top of my head.

#3 2010-03-02 22:07:34

JHeaton

Thank you for that link. I basically just adjusted the policy so that instead of reading <policy at_console="true"> it was <policy group="wheel"> just as a temporary test. Now I can mount stuff just fine, so I'll need to go and edit that configuration to make sure that it's nice and secure. Thank you very much, pseudonomous smile

#4 2010-03-03 00:27:00

pseudonomous

#5 2010-03-06 23:31:51

phohammer

I am having the same problem. I also edited hal.conf as the OP did, but I am now lost as to how to "make sure that it's nice and secure". Anyone know how to do this?

BTW:
My user is a membr of the groups wheel and storage, but could still not mount drives without hal.conf being edited as mentioned above...

#6 2010-03-07 01:23:03

JHeaton

phohammer wrote:

I am having the same problem. I also edited hal.conf as the OP did, but I am now lost as to how to "make sure that it's nice and secure". Anyone know how to do this?

BTW:
My user is a membr of the groups wheel and storage, but could still not mount drives without hal.conf being edited as mentioned above...

My user was also a member of both those groups. Seems that editing hal.conf is necessary regardless. As for making sure it's nice and secure, I just copied and pasted the following block as a whole without reading what it did and changed the line "<policy at_console="true">" to "<policy group="wheel">".

<!-- Only allow users at the local console to manipulate devices -->
  <policy at_console="true">
    <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.Hal"
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.DockStation"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KillSwitch"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KeyboardBacklight"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Leds"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LightSensor"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage.Removable"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
           send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.WakeOnLan"/>

</policy>

I didn't know at the time if I wanted all members of wheel to be able to do all of those things, so I planned on going through it again later to make any changes I felt necessary. It turns out, the only one that other members of wheel need is storage, so what I have now done is cut that section down to just the storage bit and added the entire block with "<policy user="joel">" (where joel is the account name I use) instead. That way, only I and root can make use of everything within that block.

Hope that makes sense smile

#7 2010-03-07 04:03:43

phohammer

Okay I see, you must have multiple users on your machine. I am the only one
that uses mine (and no one else ever will) so I guess mine can stay as it is, using that fix you initially used.

Thanks!

#8 2010-03-07 11:55:47

JHeaton

I don't have more than one user yet, but it's a possibility in future. I like to plan ahead with these things and get them sorted whilst the idea is still in my head, because my memory is terrible! tongue

You're very welcome. I like being able to help smile

#9 2010-03-07 12:01:56

tomk
Forum Fellow

fyi all - you can't mount audio cds, they don't have any filesystem.

Board footer