You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-02 20:57:53

dauerbaustelle

KDevelop4 without all that kdelib crap

Hi guys,

I'd like to try KDevelop4 as standalone IDE but I don't want all that kde* stuff. I'm quite sure I don't need anaconda (or how that thing is named), phonon and even less mysql and all that crappy stuff.

Which dependencies do I really need for KDevelop? I haven't used KDE so far so I don't have any idea about the KDE platform architecture and so on.

Thanks. :)

#2 2010-03-02 21:14:02

scio

Re: KDevelop4 without all that kdelib crap

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/kdevelop/

You need to pull in KDE dependencies unless you want to re-write large sections of KDevelop.
You can try QtCreator: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/commu … qtcreator/
For an IDE which only pulls in Qt.

#3 2010-03-02 21:20:29

dauerbaustelle

You're sure I need Phonon and Anaconda and stuff?!

#4 2010-03-02 22:01:24

Bralkein

I would be quite surprised if you needed Phonon and Akonadi for KDevelop, but for simplicity's sake you may as well let pacman install them anyway since they don't use more than 5MB of disk space between them. It's very easy to uninstall them later if you decide you don't like KDevelop by using pacman -Rs.

MySql is bigger of course (~60MB on-disk), but unless there's a good reason you could just install it anyway. I don't mean to try and second-guess your requirements, but unless you have a slow internet connection or very limited disk space you may as well install all the dependencies regardless of whether or not you think you need them. It's very easy to uninstall them later and they won't hurt you just by being on the disk.

#5 2010-03-02 23:40:08

dauerbaustelle

Can I be sure none of those components I install as a dependency will be run at system startup unless I configure them to do so?

#6 2010-03-03 00:34:11

Bralkein

I don't think they will run unless KDevelop starts them (after you start kdevelop) or they are enabled in the DAEMONS array in rc.conf. You can always check which processes are running using the "ps" command. MySql will show up as "mysqld", akonadi will show up as a bunch of processes called "akonadi_*". Phonon is just an API which actually interfaces with xine or gstreamer depending on the backend, so it isn't a continually running service.

Since you can always check which processes are running, how much resources they are using (with the "top" command) and since you can easily uninstall everything if you want to, I think it is safe just to explore whatever software you find interesting without having to worry too much smile

Board footer