You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-03 07:22:00

thriftee

[SOLVED]Need help with a multiboot install

The machine has 2 drives.  The IDE one that Arch sees as /dev/sda is 40 gb, and the SATA one that Arch sees as /dev/sdb is 250 gb. 

The problem is that knoppix sees the drives reversed, so whatever it sees on sda, Arch sees on sdb.  Debian sees them the same as knoppix.

How can I get all 3 to see the drives the same way so when everything is installed, I'll be able to boot any of the three from a grub menu?

I'm not a total noob, but certainly not real experienced with linux or grub compared to most here, and I don't want to mess this up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Bob

Last edited by thriftee (2010-03-07 21:49:45)

#2 2010-03-03 07:31:07

bangkok_manouel

Re: [SOLVED]Need help with a multiboot install

use UUID. run blkid to find them.

#3 2010-03-07 22:00:13

thriftee

Re: [SOLVED]Need help with a multiboot install

Thanks for your suggestion.

I looked, but to be honest, I really didn't understand it, specifically how to implement it on debian or knoppix, so I took the easy way out and disconnected the 40 gb drive, leaving the 250 gb SATA only.  There is no reason really for me to need 290 gb vs 250 gb on this machine.   

I had also tried to share the /home directory between the distros, to use it to store huge video files from any of the distros I was trying, but that was a goof.  I found myself running into wierd, security permission related problems when I got to installing things like lxde, so I decided to create a shared data partition, but mount it as /data rather than use /home to limit the potential for trouble to just those things I try to specifically use it for storing.

Board footer