You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-03 17:26:34

adamtanner

[SOLVED] No Wireless Card Detected on EEEPC 701

Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with Arch not recognizing that I have a wireless card. I can't remember exactly which card is in the 701, but I think it was the RT2860.
This originally started happening when I did a full system upgrade which pulled down the newest kernel (2.6.32?). Right after the system upgrade I rebooted and when it came back up I had no wireless (wlan0 was gone). I don't know if it's connected, but it also failed to mount my /home directory because the SD card I was mounting it from had suffered some massive corruption somewhere between doing a system upgrade and rebooting.

So, like anyone would do, I went to Google and asked what was up. Found that 2.6.32 breaks compatibility with the RT2860. Figured that was my issue, so instead of trying to fix it I figured I'd just re-install Arch. No big deal. So I boot from the USB flash drive and re-install Arch from there. Brought the system back up, and oddly enough still no wireless. Checked the kernel and it's 2.6.30. So I'm kind of lost at this point. When I turn on the computer the light for the wireless card flashes, but as soon as it gets into Arch it stops. Arch also doesn't seem to recognize it from the live environment either. Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks in advance. smile

Adam

Last edited by adamtanner (2010-03-03 22:35:18)

#2 2010-03-03 22:09:48

parintachin

Re: [SOLVED] No Wireless Card Detected on EEEPC 701

eeepc 701 uses ath5k module have you looked via ifconfig -a ?
if you se it there and the module is loaded try ifconfig wlan0 up
ps i've also got an eeepc 701 and wireless works as it should

#3 2010-03-03 22:34:06

adamtanner

Re: [SOLVED] No Wireless Card Detected on EEEPC 701

Yeah, ifconfig -a was just showing eth0 and loopback. I ended up checking the BIOS on a hunch and somehow wireless had gotten disabled. Turned it back on and now it's back to normal. I feel so dumb, haha. It's always the easiest things that trip us up. Thanks though. smile

Board footer