You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-04 23:31:40

NiGhtMarEs0nWax

A few nooby Questons.

Hi there, i want to install Arch on my system but I had a few problems initially,

the first was with the pacman.conf,  i wanted to download and install KDEmod and not the full KDE package, I appended the config file with.

[kdemod-core]
Server = http://kdemod.iskrembilen.com/core/i686

at the bottom, but when I do a $ pacman -Sy  then $ pacman -S KDEmod  it was unable to locate it at all.  So I then added all the mirrors for version 4 (stable), found here.  I then refreshed the package list but still the same thing. what am I doing wrong?

The second thing is that the screen after a while will go black, (at least under virtualbox) and I need to hit a key to wake it up, if I do that when it is downloading packages or installing them it skips that module and moves on.  I need to see what is happening in order to keep tabs on it's progress. Will it finish downloading it at the end? is there a way to fetch the skipped modules?

the third is grub, I'm not too comfortable editing the grub config file yet, I suppose over the weekend ill fire up virtualbox and play about with an ubuntu installation, but when I install the bootloader with the installer, will it take into account the two other operating systems I have already installed? or will it write a completely new bootloader and skip that, then me having to manually edit it?  it is just something to be sure of before I install it on an actual partition on my drive.

Thanks.  smile

#2 2010-03-04 23:43:24

Primoz

Re: A few nooby Questons.

1)
A) Put KDEmod mirrors not just one, but all, the playground etc.. infront of Arch mirrors.
B) do pacman -Syy
C) do pacman -S kdemod.
D) If still doesn't work go ask on KDEmod forums at http://chakra-project.org/

2)I think it just goes on, and it goes black because of inactivity.
3)No you'll have to do it yourself. Read the wiki for more info.

Last edited by Primoz (2010-03-04 23:50:14)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#3 2010-03-04 23:57:15

Allan
Pacman
Website

An addendum to #1).  The KDE packages from Arch allow you to just install the parts you want too.

#4 2010-03-05 00:01:51

owain

For #2, hitting the shift key to wake it up prevents any inadvertent keypresses

#5 2010-03-05 12:05:51

NiGhtMarEs0nWax

alright, thanks guys, I'll give it a shot tonight.

#6 2010-03-05 13:25:37

axel668

IMHO you can go with KDE default packages for KDE4, the differences is not as big as it was in KDE 3.5

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

Board footer