You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-06 01:06:06

anitsua

Printing from GNOME

This is probably a silly question, but I would be much obliged if someone could help me out.

By following the wiki I have setup CUPS---my printer is connected to a windows machine and arch is on my laptop, connecting wirelessly---the printing works (i.e. I request a test page from the laptop, and it prints).

My problem is that I don't know how to let other applications see this printer and print to it, for example, if I open a pdf in evince and select 'print' the printer doesn't appear. The same problem is present for all (the ones I have check) applications in gnome with a printing option.

I have added myself the 'allowed users' list in CUPS, but this didn't seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2010-03-06 01:10:59

lamegaptop

Re: Printing from GNOME

Shot in the dark - is your user a member of the group lp?

Have you tried plugging the printer into your laptop for testing purposes?

Don't break the silence unless you can improve upon it.

#3 2010-03-06 02:48:23

anitsua

I've added myself the lp group... no change.

I've tried connecting the printer locally... I can print the test page, but the printer doesn't appear anywhere else.

#4 2010-03-06 03:04:52

jimbok

Don't you have to make a default printer here with cups: http://localhost:631/

With my HP, lp and lpq didn't work until I did that anyway.

Registered Linux User #402088

#5 2010-03-06 10:09:21

anitsua

@jimbok do you mean just setting the printer as the cups default, or something more involved... I've set the printer as the default and it didn't work.

The irritating thing is, I know I can print to it (the test page), I just don't know how to print anything else.

#6 2010-03-07 09:12:13

anitsua

I reinstalled cups and samba and recreated the printer using the cups interface (http://localhost:631)

Printing is now possible from the command line... but the hostname must be specified: lp -h localhost file2print.pdf

I installed system-config-printer-gnome and libgnomeprint. But I can't set the default printer (System->Admin->default printer), as "The cups scheduler is not running".

lpstat -r shows the cups scheduler is not running, but if lpstat -h localhost -r is used, the cups scheduler is reported as running.

Have I configured cups wrong?

Board footer