You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-06 14:17:26

Raffo

Compile kernel 2.4 arch

Hi guys, I need to compile manually the kernel 2.4 on archlinux. I need to do that for an university course I'm following. I did that several time with version 2.6 on gentoo, but now with version 2.4 on arch I got a problem: it seems I'm missing "genksyms" (I don't know exactly what it is). Can you tell me how to find and install it? Any other suggestion to deal with the compile process of kernel 2.4?? Thanks wink

#2 2010-03-06 15:40:13

Ultraman

Re: Compile kernel 2.4 arch

Wouldn't it be much easier just to use a VM for this purpose?
Install an old version of a distro in there, e.g. an old Slackware which uses the 2.4 kernel. And compile one in there for that system?

#3 2010-03-06 15:42:41

Raffo

It's already on a wm... and it's running arch big_smile I really love arch and I found it very good for the kind of things that I'm going to do...

Last edited by Raffo (2010-03-06 15:43:06)

#4 2010-03-06 16:00:01

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Are you aware that there are certain intricacies involved in building a 2.4 kernel on a system that is tuned for a 2.6 kernel?

Does the word 'toolchain' mean anything to you without having to resort to google? If not, how about 'glibc'?

I.e. do you know what you are trying to accomplish?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2010-03-06 16:13:02

Raffo

.:B:. wrote:

Are you aware that there are certain intricacies involved in building a 2.4 kernel on a system that is tuned for a 2.6 kernel?

Does the word 'toolchain' mean anything to you without having to resort to google? If not, how about 'glibc'?

I believe it's better to give informations in a post instead of writing questions to someone who's looking for a solution to his problem. However, I know that there can be differences, but since I never used the kernel 2.4 I don't know about the consequences. Again, it would have been better for me to learn something from your post.

#6 2010-03-07 05:07:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Raffo wrote:

I believe it's better to give informations in a post instead of writing questions to someone who's looking for a solution to his problem. However, I know that there can be differences, but since I never used the kernel 2.4 I don't know about the consequences. Again, it would have been better for me to learn something from your post.

No, it would be better for you to learn from google. He's told you what to search for.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2010-03-07 05:33:08

Allan
Pacman
Website

Check out the glibc PKGBUILD and note the minimum kernel version requirement.  Arch is not the distro you are looking for.

#8 2010-03-07 07:27:17

Forum Fellow
Website

Raffo wrote:

While it might not be what you were looking for, there is some very constructive material in my post. My questions - when answered - would have allowed you to put your own question in perspective. If you refuse to do that, that's your choice. I'm trying to make you think about the ramifications of your little project.

People who say or think complicated things are easy usually don't know anything about it wink.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2010-03-07 10:32:11

Raffo

Raffo wrote:

While it might not be what you were looking for, there is some very constructive material in my post. My questions - when answered - would have allowed you to put your own question in perspective.

I did not say that I wouldn't try to answer to your questions, but I just believe that yours is not the way to help an user. Asking to "google it" is not very kind to me. However I can find all the other informations I need by myself, obviously, I was just talking about the way you answered. Sorry for the OT, this OT ends here, for me.

If you refuse to do that, that's your choice. I'm trying to make you think about the ramifications of your little project.

People who say or think complicated things are easy usually don't know anything about it wink.

I'm not refusing to do that smile

#10 2010-03-07 12:03:20

JGC
Developer

Arch doesn't support 2.4 kernels in any way, you would have to switch glibc to linuxthreads, which is even unsupported upstream these days, and after that, you'll have to recompile each and every package in the whole distribution. The only exceptions here are arch=('any') packages.

#11 2010-03-07 12:22:28

Raffo

JGC wrote:

Arch doesn't support 2.4 kernels in any way, you would have to switch glibc to linuxthreads, which is even unsupported upstream these days, and after that, you'll have to recompile each and every package in the whole distribution. The only exceptions here are arch=('any') packages.

Thank you... so, no way to do that. For 2.4 the only way is use slack or there are other distros?

#12 2010-03-07 17:00:25

extofme
Website

If I may ask, _why_ do you need 2.4 specifically?  Did I miss that?  Is the class trying to teach you how to build a _really_ old kernel... I don't get it, I hope you don't have to actually use the system after it's built;  it would be a nightmare to maintain on any distro.

what am i but an extension of you?

#13 2010-03-08 01:35:10

Forum Fellow
Website

Some drivers are only available for 2.4 kernels.

#14 2010-03-08 01:48:06

extofme
Website

ah right sad

weak.

what am i but an extension of you?

#15 2010-03-28 17:09:35

Raffo

@extofme: the professor is so lazy to update his slides that he still explains linux kernel development concepts by examples taken from the 2.4 kernel. I've to do by myself the mapping to version 2.6. I gave up using 2.4 since (also thanks to this thread) I finally understood all the differences smile

Last edited by Raffo (2010-03-28 17:10:17)

#16 2010-03-29 17:30:35

jceasless

Raffo wrote:

@extofme: the professor is so lazy to update his slides that he still explains linux kernel development concepts by examples taken from the 2.4 kernel. I've to do by myself the mapping to version 2.6. I gave up using 2.4 since (also thanks to this thread) I finally understood all the differences smile

Fire that prof!

Board footer