You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-08 20:39:26

JerichoKru
Website

Building libfm-git and pcmanfm-git

I want to test out the newest version of PCManFM(newer builds have trash support) and it requires libfm-git.  However, libfm needs menu-cache >= 0.3.2, so I retrieved it from lxde's git and installed it.  Libfm-git still recognizes the old version.  Is it necessary to remove the old version first?  If I do, will it break anything?

Thanks.

#2 2010-03-10 11:31:53

Stefan Husmann

Re: Building libfm-git and pcmanfm-git

To what directory did you install menu-cache install to? /usr/local? If so, you probably have to edit your ld.conf file and run ldconfig.

#3 2010-03-10 15:10:42

JerichoKru
Website

Stefan Husmann wrote:

To what directory did you install menu-cache install to? /usr/local? If so, you probably have to edit your ld.conf file and run ldconfig.

I let git drop it into my home directory...should it have been placed somewhere else?

#4 2010-03-10 15:38:52

tomk
Forum Fellow

The standard menu-cache package in community installs to /usr/include and /usr/lib - yours should do the same.

#5 2010-03-10 16:22:40

JerichoKru
Website

tomk wrote:

The standard menu-cache package in community installs to /usr/include and /usr/lib - yours should do the same.

I'm not entirely sure it installs there...how could I check (and modify, if needed) the install path?

#6 2010-03-12 15:46:03

JerichoKru
Website

Well, I got libfm-git and pcmanfm-git installed. thanks to someone updating menu-cache.

Now...how do I make the new pcmanfm default?

Also, clicking on the trash give an "operation not supported", am I missing a file/program/daemon?

#7 2010-03-12 17:31:32

lolilolicon

JerichoKru wrote:

Well, I got libfm-git and pcmanfm-git installed. thanks to someone updating menu-cache.

Also, clicking on the trash give an "operation not supported", am I missing a file/program/daemon?

Trash can support (provided by gvfs)

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#8 2010-03-22 05:19:26

JerichoKru
Website

lolilolicon wrote:
JerichoKru wrote:

Trash can support (provided by gvfs)

I do have gvfs installed.  Does it need extra configuration?

#9 2010-03-27 06:20:12

empthollow

I second JerichoKru's question.  I am using pcmanfm2 with fluxbox.  I cannot access ftp or trash that is supposedly provided by gvfs.  I have gvfs installed but I am not aware of a daemon for it.  Is this a configuration issue or a feature that hasn't been implimented yet.  I get 'operation not supported' for both of these operations.  Also, my usb drive does not automatically show in the git version.

-empthollow

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#10 2010-04-16 02:26:56

empthollow

Ok, I have installed pcmanfm-git on my gnome desktop and trash can works, and ftp works.  It appears something running in the gnome session is activating gvfs.  If anyone has any great ideas on how to determine what it is that gnome is starting I would appreciate the suggestions.

--empthollow

#11 2010-04-17 03:34:16

empthollow

I think I have the solution.

dbus-launch pcmanfm2

it takes much longer for the file manager to open, but trash works and ftp works.  It appears to start all necessary gvfs daemons.  As far as I can tell gvfs is the only dependency needed.  Please post your results.

--empthollow

#12 2010-04-17 03:37:16

ctarwater

dbus-launch works here.  Didn't take more than an extra second or two to start up and trash/ftp works!

#13 2010-04-18 03:53:44

empthollow

cool, mine got faster after a reboot and it's pretty quick too.

--empthollow

#14 2010-04-18 14:04:00

xsoul

actually i don't see the value of adding a trash can..
and it seems gvfs is a little heavy for non-gnome users like me..

#15 2010-04-18 14:51:23

empthollow

I can see your point. I wanted it mainly for the ftp access.  The trash can be turned off in preferences.

--empthollow

#16 2010-05-19 18:17:40

shanipribadi

xsoul wrote:

I'm also a non-gnome user who's avoiding gnome as much as possible just because I wanted to.
But what is quite shocking for me is that adding gvfs only force me to download about 3 MB.
So now I'm very confused. I could just install them and have pcmanfm with trash can support (not that I used it), easy mounting of usb disks (this is quite handy, though since I spend most of the time on cli and just use one device at a time then it's just as fast to make an alias for pmount or udisks --mount.), and I also get palimsest as a bonus (gnome disk utility, it's easier to format flash disks using it than gparted or cli tools like parted and friends). But if I wanted to keep my purists behavior of avoiding any packages with some connection with gnome unless I really have to then I'll just have to live without easy disk mounting. It's quiet light for me, but I'm trying to avoid gnome. Aaagh, the dilemma.

#17 2010-05-20 01:01:18

empthollow

I don't find the trash can partucularaly useful either, so I turn it off.  But the easy mounting of drives and ftp support is great.

--empthollow

#18 2010-05-20 01:05:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

shanipribadi wrote:
xsoul wrote:

I'm also a non-gnome user who's avoiding gnome as much as possible just because I wanted to.

Voluntarily (and arbitrarily) limiting yourself is either a sign of strongly-held beliefs or stubborn misguidedness.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#19 2010-05-27 23:52:21

akephalos

shanipribadi wrote:
xsoul wrote:

GVFS is just a temporary dependency which PCMan intends to get rid of at one point. He reconfirmed this recently: http://blog.lxde.org/?p=657

Board footer