You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-09 12:27:57

Pyongyang
Website

Can't boot Arch from USB on Acer Aspire One...

Hi All,

New to the forums, relatively new to Linux. I've tried several distros including #!, U/K/Xubuntu, Mint, Kuki, Puppy and Wolvix. However none of them, except maybe Mint, have played very nicely with my Acer Aspire One netbook. Even Kuki was a bit of a disaster, though I liked the Midori browser, first time I'd used it was under Kuki.

Intro aside, I want to try Arch. I am not scared of a bit of hands-on work via CLI, although am certainly no expert when it comes to CLI & Linux!

The problem is, I created a USB install for the latest 32bit version of Arch using Unetbootin (I tried both under Windows and Linux, creating USB live sticks with both). However when I try to boot from USB, all goes well until just after a message during the boot process appears. I forget off the top of my head what the error message says, though it appears after successfully waiting 30 seconds to discover a SCSI drive (or something along those lines).

The error has nothing to do with the drive, it's related to the step in the boot process that comes after that. Whatever the message is (I'm at work so cannot access logs or anything right now) it ends up asking me to resolve from a CLI prompt, which then leaves me with a prompt dialog, or to restart and try again.

Nothing seems to work so I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if it might be a bug with Unetbootin or a bug with the latest version of Arch? Or simply a good old fashioned ID10T error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2010-03-09 13:37:39

perbh

Re: Can't boot Arch from USB on Acer Aspire One...

use the usb-image for the core install rather than the iso-image

#3 2010-03-09 14:15:29

Pyongyang
Website

Thanks! I'll mark this as an ID10T error for now then. I'll give the USB install image a try tonight. On a side note, does Arch come with Skype pre-installed and if not, is it relatively simple to install a la the *.deb package install?

#4 2010-03-09 16:27:03

perbh

Yup - it's in the 'community' repo
Well - its not "preinstalled" but if you enable 'community' you can do a 'pacman -S skype'

Board footer