You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-12 12:04:01

zongo

Arch Linux Installation on Netbook

Hi,

I have a netbook Toshiba Satelite T110 and I have been trying to install Arch on it for a week now but to no avail. So I have come to think that may be Arch Linux is not really for netbook as opposed to being for Workstation or Laptops. I really would like to have your opinion on that.

Kind Regards,

PS: I have Arch installed in a VM and it works perfectly.

Last edited by zongo (2010-03-12 12:04:44)

#2 2010-03-12 13:23:46

kgas

Re: Arch Linux Installation on Netbook

Arch works fine with netbook. What is your hardware config?. Did you try with any other distro (Ubuntu)?

#3 2010-03-12 13:32:37

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

what part of the installation are you getting stuck on with the netbook?

#4 2010-03-12 15:43:19

thayer
Fellow
Website

A cursory glance at the forums will show that Arch is definitely suited to netbooks--we have a large population of netbook users and there are threads spanning dozens pages on the subject.  Whatever problem you're having is probably due to the somewhat outdated installation images.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2010-03-12 22:22:55

zongo

i use the beginer's guide to set up my arch on my netbook. I chose beginer's guide because I am new to linux. Ubuntu works very well on it. I did try it and test it. I did not want to use to ubuntu because I have never lliked it really. I ran into two problems when installiing Arch. The first was network related. It could not probe my NIC and most of all, the NIC disappeared completely. I could see it while booted from a live cd but once Arch system was launched, it had gone off the grid. I had to reinstall ubuntu to get it working again.  I have no idea what happened. lspci would not show it etc.. The second issue was with my trackpad on my netbook.  Could not have the click at all. I could not resolve those two issues for the life of me so I stopped the install. I posted on couple of forums to try to get an answer but nothing really probing or that i could use. That is why I think it might not have all the hardware support a distro like ubuntu might have. But again, I know so little about linux that may be I am all wrong here.

Board footer