You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-12 21:55:03

tung
Website

Stop external drive auto-mounting with utf8=1 option

The filenames on my external disk aren't showing up right.  I've used and am using a typical GNOME setup, and this only started happening when I stopped upgrading for a long while, then went with a complete re-install.

A little experimenting showed that mounting it without the utf8=1 option fixed those filenames. Given the labyrinth of HAL, DBus, udev and DeviceKit, how do I stop my vfat external drive mounting with utf8=1?

There's more info over at the cross-posted thread in Desktop Environments, but I felt it would be more appropriate to ask here instead.

Running Arch on Eee PC 901 12 GB

#2 2010-03-13 20:33:45

tung
Website

Re: Stop external drive auto-mounting with utf8=1 option

I've "fixed" the issue by adding this line to /etc/fstab:

UUID=3BEC-9DA3 /media/WD\040Passport vfat rw,user,uid=1000,gid=100,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=0,noauto,flush 0 0

This stops the utf8=1 option being used when I hotplug my external disk.

However, GNOME now has a phantom "WD Passport" external drive icon. It never seems to point to anything, and whenever it's so much as selected, an error dialog appears saying that nothing is mounted there. Another, actual drive icon can access the disk, but the phantom icon is annoying.

Does anybody have a better way of setting mount options in this setup than using /etc/fstab?

If not, does anybody know how to get rid of the phantom drive icon?

Running Arch on Eee PC 901 12 GB

Board footer