You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-16 03:59:06

Sickify

Knetworkmanager Doesn't Autostart and QtCurve problems

Hi,

I posted here once before over getting my rt3090 network card working, i've got that up and running now. However, i've got two new issues.

The first, I'm using networkmanager to manage network connections, and it's included in my /etc/rc.conf;
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
# DAEMONS
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it
#   - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background
#
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network netfs crond alsa kdm dbus hal networkmanager)

However, when I start kde the knetworkmanager icon does not show up in the "system-tray". I've tried adding knetworkmanager to kde's startup to no avail. Anyone know why it won't start? Once I start KnetworkManager via the K menu, the icon in the system-tray shows up and is well.

The second problem, when I set my Widget Style in System Settings --> Appearance to QtCurve, certain applications fail to launch. Such as Firefox and the Nvidia X Server Settings. They try to launch, time out and disappear, however still show up in System Monitor as running processes gobbling up 50% of cpu. Changing to a non-qtcurve widget style eliminates this problem instantly.

Last edited by Sickify (2010-03-17 00:08:30)

#2 2010-03-16 06:36:45

loafer

Re: Knetworkmanager Doesn't Autostart and QtCurve problems

It's probably not the cause of the problems but the supported way to start a display manager is to place it as the last item in the daemons array, otherwise it can cause problems with crashes.  It's also a good idea to move hal so it starts much earlier, after syslog-ng.

Also, this post title is a bit ambiguous.  It's better to use something that explains what the thread is about.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2010-03-17 00:09:19

Sickify

loafer wrote:

It's probably not the cause of the problems but the supported way to start a display manager is to place it as the last item in the daemons array, otherwise it can cause problems with crashes.  It's also a good idea to move hal so it starts much earlier, after syslog-ng.

Also, this post title is a bit ambiguous.  It's better to use something that explains what the thread is about.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I have edited rc.conf to re-organize the daemons array as you suggest, and changed the topic title to better reflect what I'm having trouble with.

#4 2010-03-17 17:18:56

grassmonk

I had a problem with knetworkmanager not starting, too.  Check ~/.kde4/share/config/networkmanagementrc and make sure that Autostart=true is listed under the [General] section.

#5 2010-06-16 09:08:06

Wintershade
Website

grassmonk wrote:

Check ~/.kde4/share/config/networkmanagementrc and make sure that Autostart=true is listed under the [General] section.

Thanks, man! That one worked for me.

Only the best is good enough.

Board footer