You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-16 05:27:29

B-Con
Website

Starting Deluge kills computer's network connection

When I start Deluge, my computer's general access Internet connection dies temporarily, sometimes permanently or until Deluge is paused. Deluge continues to remain connected to the Internet, but my web browser stops being able to look up domains, DNS queries stop coming back, etc. Starting Deluge kills my access to the Internet. But it's only for the computer Deluge is on, other computer's on the network continue to work just fine.

Deluge is downloading a slow torrent, it's only downloading at about 5K on average and I have it limited to never making more than 100 active connections nor having more than 30 half-open connections at a time. I reset my iptables rules just to make sure nothing in there was causing a problem. I set the limit on the number of connection attempts per second from a max of 10 to a max of 5.

I have cable Internet access, with actual benchmarks of 700KB (bytes, not bits) downspeed and 150KB upspeed.

My only reasonable guess is that the problem could be that my router is the bottleneck and is being effectively DOS'd from the inside on the hardwire port that my computer uses, but that seems awfully pathetic. It is an older router, so maybe it's on its way out, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone might have any OS-related thoughts before I try tinkering with alternate hardware.

Thoughts? Could this be something related to my Arch install?

#2 2010-03-16 05:44:06

anonymous_user

Re: Starting Deluge kills computer's network connection

If you limit Deluge's speed, does your connection still die?

Do other torrent clients (Transmission, rtorrent) also kill your connection?

#3 2010-03-26 17:09:59

B-Con
Website

Minor update: After a few tries, I can't get Deluge to kill my connection permanently, I always get normal access back after a while. I thought I'd lost my connection permanently before, but I can't replicate it at the moment. So I think the problem is a temporary loss of connection.

I'll try your suggestions next chance I have.

Last edited by B-Con (2010-03-26 17:10:10)

#4 2010-03-26 17:19:09

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Check the maximum connections and maximum half-open connections. Also don't set the upload limit too low, since it includes protocol overhead. If you set it too low you can get choked by ack

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2010-03-30 04:03:29

B-Con
Website

Upload limit was set at 30K, any more and it actually seems to slow my download speed for some odd reason. I rarely upload that fast on this torrent anyway, though.

Maximum connections is 100, maximum half-open connections is 30, maximum connections per second is 5. I always monitor my network speed usage via conky, and when the connection dies the download rate is nothing special. Like I said, the torrent averages about 5 to 10K downspeed, and conky reflects that.

Deluge disconnected from the localhost service today because the daemon shutdown. (Long standing bug, I think, but whatever.) I re-started the daemon, re-connected, and when the torrent started my connection died. I waited for over 10 minutes before I paused the torrent. I set a download limit of 100K and re-started the download. This time my Internet connection didn't choke. Odd. I re-paused, waited, set the download rate to unlimited, and re-started. Connection did not choke.

Thus I'm having trouble even re-producing the problem at will. Perhaps I'll try another client, but I doubt it's bit-torrent related, I think it's Deluge.

#6 2010-04-07 04:01:33

B-Con
Website

Still can't predictably replicate the behavior. The connection will choke, but after I pause and re-start the torrent nothing bad happens. I think it only happens after I re-start Deluge, like after a reboot or when the daemon dies. After a pause and resume, the connection is fine.

I'm assuming my experience is isolated? No one else with similar circumstances?

Board footer