You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-17 21:26:48

skanky

[Solved] Static noise instead of bell starts after ~ 1hr on battery

I've mentioned this in this thread, but I think it needs one of its own.

When I boot up, the sound is perfectly behaved - sound from say flash or alsa tests works okay. No static hiss or noise. After about an hour(ish) uptime I suddenly start getting bursts of static for ~5-10 seconds anytime something wants to beep or bell. For example, if in mutt I try to scroll past the end of a message and it pops up the message to tell me I'm at the end.

It also occurs on shutdown and the next boot, but then stops after the boot, until after it's been up for roughly an hour (that's a rough time). It didn't happen earlier today on AC, but has started up again this evening on battery.

I'm using an ASUS eeePC 901. It's using snd-hda-intel.

Here is the rc.conf MODULES

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
#MOD_BLACKLIST=() #deprecated
MODULES=(acpi_cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand fuse rfkill eeepc_laptop !pcspkr !snd-pcsp)

Here's the relevant entry from /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

options snd-hda-intel model=eeepc-p901

I have tried with no model, with model=laptop and with power_save=0 also.

I've searched the web and these forums and the only equivalent I've found is a thread from about a year ago with no resolution posted.

I'm going to check acpi in case there's something there based on  battery level, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be grateful for nearly any suggestion atm.

Last edited by skanky (2010-03-25 14:18:20)

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#2 2010-03-25 14:17:42

skanky

Re: [Solved] Static noise instead of bell starts after ~ 1hr on battery

Well, I gave it a bit longer this time, and I don't want to tempt fate, but it looks like turning off powersave in /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/intel-hda-powersave.conf may have fixed the issue.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

Board footer