You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-19 20:26:39

maqbeq

trying out Arch on VirtualBox, a real PITA (solved)

Hi there, I've been having a hard time lately trying to install Arch on VirtualBox latest version (3.1.4 IIRC) on a windows host to give it a try.

First I tried the net-install edition, so I wouldn't have to update later and it run flawlessly until pacman began to download packages, when it reached the kernel package it stalled there forever. Tried different repos with the same result.

Instead of giving up I decided to install the core version so at least I'd had an Arch running system. On this occasion the setup went smoothly but as soon as I tried to run a pacman -Syy on the running system to refresh the package list it wouldn't download a thing, getting stalled at 0% on "core". Pinging to google.fr resolves it to an ip and pinging an internet ip address there's also a response so I don't get it. Also tried to download something with wget and it worked like a charm. Changing to another repo doesn't seem to help at all. hmm Any other ideas?

Tomorrow I'll try to use an older VB version and reinstall Arch to check if that's the problem. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by maqbeq (2010-03-20 00:15:21)

#2 2010-03-19 21:33:29

Mektub

Re: trying out Arch on VirtualBox, a real PITA (solved)

maqbeq,

since you can get wget downloading, perhaps just try to ping a repo machine.

I have virtualbox_bin 3.1.4-3 installed and didn't have any problems installing Arch.

On the VB configuration, under Network, I have set "Attached to: Bridged Adapter".

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2010-03-19 22:00:39

loafer

Can you download with wget using pacman (i.e. uncomment in /etc/pacman.conf)?

Last edited by loafer (2010-03-19 22:01:34)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#4 2010-03-20 00:15:00

maqbeq

loafer wrote:

Can you download with wget using pacman (i.e. uncomment in /etc/pacman.conf)?

Thanks for that tip! Finally I was able to run pacman and update the system. This m8 be considered as a fallback if pacman doesn't work (like in this case) for next net-install release.

#5 2010-03-20 00:18:13

pickboy87
Website

I had problems with Arch using Virtualbox. It was always a pain in the ass. Installing it regularly yielded none of the problems that I encountered in VB. Once you feel comfortable enough, try doing a regular install.

Board footer