You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-19 23:22:06

Reinier

[Solved] Launching apps, right-click Tint2, IRC basics

Hi All,

Started using Arch a week ago by recommendation of a friend who is a complete linux crackhead. I'm starting to share his addiction. After giving Ubuntu and Debian the boot I think I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far wink I'm very much a linux novice though so bear with me.

So, there are still a few things that bug me and so far haven't found a solution for. I'm hoping to find salvation here cool

1. Launching apps.

I'm currently using Adeskbar but I can't get it setup how I want (probleem between chair and keyboard) but it would be even more preferred to just launch apps from the terminal. Problem is, doing a simple  #Reinier: Firefox will become (please correct me if I'm wrong) a child process of that terminal. If I close the terminal, firefox dies with it. I found that adding & after the application name gives my back my terminal but that problem still persists.

My wish: launch a bunch of apps with a terminal and then close the terminal but keep the apps running. I've been googling frantically for the correct flag (or is the matter more complicated?) but no luck.

2. I'm using Tint2 and it's superb. Props to the maker if he lurks here smile I haven't been able to figure out if and how I can get a windows-eqsue (hold your torches!) right-click menu. For the sole reason that I use both os-es frequently and re-learning that behaviour and having both in my head will make my brain melt. If I can't, too bad, windows can sod off.

3. I've been trying to get on the IRC channel but no luck. Searching the forums gives me a lot of results but none that seem to help me. Simply put, I don't understand IRC. I used it with "Colloquy" on OSX and that worked like a charm. Using it with pidgin now and I'm not able to send messages. I personally think it's an issue with registering my username or something....

I think that's all (for now neutral). My biggest gripe at the moment is #1 though, so any help on just that one would rock my wor...uhm...Arch.

And a big shout-out to the Arch developers, you did a marvelous job!

EDIT: Changed the title to be a bit more informative for future people browsing. My original was a bit useless in hindsight smile

Last edited by Reinier (2010-03-20 00:03:43)

#2 2010-03-19 23:36:43

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [Solved] Launching apps, right-click Tint2, IRC basics

Reinier wrote:

1. Launching apps.

I'm currently using Adeskbar but I can't get it setup how I want (probleem between chair and keyboard) but it would be even more preferred to just launch apps from the terminal. Problem is, doing a simple  #Reinier: Firefox will become (please correct me if I'm wrong) a child process of that terminal. If I close the terminal, firefox dies with it. I found that adding & after the application name gives my back my terminal but that problem still persists.

My wish: launch a bunch of apps with a terminal and then close the terminal but keep the apps running. I've been googling frantically for the correct flag (or is the matter more complicated?) but no luck.

Try bashrun

Reinier wrote:

2. I'm using Tint2 and it's superb. Props to the maker if he lurks here smile I haven't been able to figure out if and how I can get a windows-eqsue (hold your torches!) right-click menu. For the sole reason that I use both os-es frequently and re-learning that behaviour and having both in my head will make my brain melt. If I can't, too bad, windows can sod off.

Tell M$ to shove it. No right click menu in Tint2

Reinier wrote:

3. I've been trying to get on the IRC channel but no luck. Searching the forums gives me a lot of results but none that seem to help me. Simply put, I don't understand IRC. I used it with "Colloquy" on OSX and that worked like a charm. Using it with pidgin now and I'm not able to send messages. I personally think it's an issue with registering my username or something....

You have to be registered to post messages in #archlinux... see http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup

Reinier wrote:

And a big shout-out to the Arch developers, you did a marvelous job!

Thanks tongue

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#3 2010-03-19 23:45:41

pickboy87
Website

Ghost1227 wrote:
Reinier wrote:

1. Launching apps.

I'm currently using Adeskbar ...

Try bashrun

Oooh. I like that program. Thanks for the tip smile

#4 2010-03-19 23:46:39

Reinier

Well, that pretty much covers everything.

I just succeeded in mounting my ipod nano so next step is to put music on it. Its been rotting in a drawer for months now since I refuse to use iTunes any longer, PoS media player imho.

Now that I mention it, when I plugin an external drive over USB, with (I think) 2 partitions. HAL spits out an error (dont have it at hand now and music is running so I don't want to unplug my drive, I'll get the exact error screenshotted at a later time if desired). If I do a "ls /dev | grep sd" I get my list of devices. Then I get both an sdh and sdh1 (or sdg or whatever). Where mounting sdh tells me to specify the filesystem. When I try to mount sdh1 then it works as expected. In this case, mounting my ipod. Is there a basic principle I'm missing here to how mounting works? Is this something common or did I do something I shouldn't have been doing?

And, thanks Ghost! Bashrun gets checked out as soon as my ipod is resurrected!

#5 2010-03-19 23:47:51

ataraxia

For #1, in addition to bashrun that ghost suggests, you can try gmrun (a simple popup "run dialog" with tab completion) or the dmenu_run script that comes in the dmenu package. I'm a fan of gmrun myself.

For #2, I'm also fairly sure that tint2 doesn't support right-click menus. It's such a nice app that I've adapted myself to its quirks rather than the other way around.

#6 2010-03-20 15:50:01

Reinier

Well, bashrun sure is a nifty little app. Which will be part of my workflow from now on!

@ ataraxia: bashrun also has tab completion in the same way a terminal does. (I'm pretty sure you know but you never know)

Board footer