You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-20 08:26:34

plutus

archlinux on dell e4300: a few problems (audio, mount ISO, Matlab)

hello, I've recently installed arch on my dell e4300 and, even after searching, there a few problems I can not solve..

1. I have some problems with the sound: I modify the parameters on alsamixer, store them with sudo alsactl store but after rebooting the beep volume increase. Second problem: the internal microphone. The microphone is always on "mute" in the volume settings (via the volume applet): I "unmute" it, but after closing the wondow it's once again mute. I'm sure it works because if I keep the volume applet opened I can use the mic...on the other side, the applet volume is related to the beep volume!!

2.I've installed matlab (as I usually do, last time on Karmic) but no way to make it work...after installing and setting up I use type "matlab" in a terminal and it's fine. Arch doesn't know this command

3.how to mount an ISO image? I(ve installed the gnome-mount-image package, I have a mount image option in nautilus right click menu but...nothing happens (the iso file is in a ntfs partition I've installed ntfs-3g)

4.I'd like to start conky with a small script "conky-start". I add it in the startup application menu but...the script is ignored. Under Karmic I do exactly the same and it works

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by plutus (2010-03-23 01:18:58)

#2 2010-03-20 17:15:29

demian

Re: archlinux on dell e4300: a few problems (audio, mount ISO, Matlab)

Hello plutus,

the ArchLinux community has created a wiki in which you will find the answer to many of your questions.

1. Start the ALSA daemon (/etc/rc.d/alsa). Also have a look at the wiki entry. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adv … chitecture

2. Using the information in this wiki entry, you should be able to make it work.

3. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mou … es_as_user

4. You'll have to refer to documentation regarding your DE for automatically starting applications at startup. If you want to run a script, you might want to defer to it from rc.local.

Greets.

no place like /home
github

#3 2010-03-23 00:14:08

plutus

1. solved after some work in alsamixer! smile

2.I have no problem installing Matlab, but launching it...I'll try to reinstall

3.I had already followed the wiki: I have the new entry when clicking on an ISO file...but nothing happens!!if it helps, the ISO is on an ntfs partition. Btw, I've installed gmount-iso that I usually use under ubuntu and I have  an error "command not found"...

4. solved

Last edited by plutus (2010-03-23 17:02:37)

#4 2010-03-23 17:03:22

plutus

probably I got it...
I have to edit the ~/.bashrc to add the path to matlab/bin

but why it's fine on ubuntu?

Last edited by plutus (2010-03-23 17:10:21)

Board footer