You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-20 20:39:50

timm

MCE errors with kernel 2.6.32.x

I'm running a dual Xeon machine, x86_64, 8G memory, Radeon HD 4350 graphics. 

Back in February, I upgraded the system and went from the 2.6.31.6-1 kernel to the 2.6.32.7-1 kernel, at which point the machine started doing random reboots and reporting MCE errors.  I posted over in the newbie section but marked it solved when a downgrade to the 2.6.31.6-1 kernel seemed to solve the problem.  At that point I did run a memory test and found no errors, and temperature monitoring didn't show any problems. 

The machine has been rock solid ever since.

Last night I upgraded everything again, and this time went to the 2.6.32.10-1 kernel.  The random reboots began again, again with MCE errors.  Although I've only caught one of them and didn't get things written down, it did look like different error messages.

I've now been working on it for a couple hours with no stability problems.  Before downgrading, I was getting random reboots every 15 minutes or so.  Other than the kernel downgrade, I haven't changed anything.

I haven't been able to find anything out about the problem, and other than preventing kernel upgrades for awhile, am not sure how to proceed.

Board footer