You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-21 03:33:55

mjeffer

Poor font rendering in Firefox with Ubuntu font patches

I installed the ubuntu patched font packages while trying to fix another problem (which ended up being related to problems with my laptop resuming from sleep), and it makes the font rendering in Firefox AWEFULL.  I switched back to the vanilla arch packages and it fixed it, just curoius if anyone knows what would cause that?  I installed and configured everything following the directions provided on the font configuration wiki.  I've read people say the ubuntu patched ones look better so was interested in trying it out, but not if it's going to seriously degrade my browsing experience.

#2 2010-03-21 04:55:01

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Poor font rendering in Firefox with Ubuntu font patches

I believe that the Ubuntu patches outlived their usefulness a long time ago. And even then it was highly subjective whether they were good in the first place. If the fonts in Firefox were looking awful, then there was probably some configuration option somewhere that was the cause.

#3 2010-03-21 06:10:28

flamelab

I use the -cleartype packages from AUR which are excellent:
cairo-cleartype 1.8.10-1
freetype2-cleartype 2.3.12-1
libxft-cleartype 2.1.14-1

and FF looks great with them.

#4 2010-03-21 06:26:43

brebs

mjeffer wrote:

AWFUL

Try being several times more descriptive of the problem. Maybe same as this thread.

skottish wrote:

outlived their usefulness

Eh? How else are we going to get the flexibility of being able to choose, per-font and per-other-criteria-as-we-wish, between these font rendering styles:

lcdnone, lcddefault, lcdlight, lcdlegacy

To make each font look its best, to our own liking.

Edit: As interesting info, here's the Gentoo bug for inclusion of Ubuntu's patches.

Last edited by brebs (2010-03-21 06:35:11)

Board footer