You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-21 00:30:29

crobot

install from boot.img crash

I'm trying to install arch on an old dell optiplex gl 5100 (for use as a server), the bios does not support cdrom booting so i have followed instructions from this forum to make a boot floppy with a boot.img. My problem is that after hitting enter on the initial lilo screen, it prints 'loading arch' this goes on for under a minute and then it prints 'BIOS data check successful' and subsequently crashes. Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help,

Dan

#2 2005-01-21 03:37:52

sarah31
Website

Re: install from boot.img crash

are you sure that the computer is an i686 architecture?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2005-01-21 03:57:07

crobot

Thanks for your response.

Yes, it's a pentium 1. I have, unfortunately given up now though; i've spent the best part of the night doing it, i finally decided to install arch on to the hard drive from a different computer, but after installing the drive back, ran into a similar problem, which i've guessed is to do with the memory, it has 32mb of old simms, seeming as it hangs just before (or while?) loading the kernel, i can only assume this is the cause...though i have read that linux should run on less, i'm a little lost for other reasons.

I think the reality is that the computer is just too old, and i don't have the patience, i'd also need to get around the bios drive cylinder limits, which meant my 20gig drive was only detected as an 8gig. My last issue is the fact that it might not be able to handle php at a reasonable pace, which is a high priority for me.

It's ashame but, i think i'll need to raid the attic for some 'newer old' parts. My demands for a server are higher than i originally thought.

Thanks anyhow,

Dan

#4 2005-01-21 18:07:24

sarah31
Website

yeah a pentium 1 is i586 it think. I don't know if there are any current floppy images for installing whatever old i586 packages are around. i586 is a much desired architecture for many peoople but unfortunately Arch has never had any success in getting anyone to take on the project or keeping people there if they do.

You may have to hit Distrowatch to find a nice optimazed but compact distro.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2005-01-21 18:14:02

crobot

Thanks again for your response.

Well, having gone into the attic and finding absolutely nothing (seems i had cleared things out without thinking) i'm left with this one computer. Ah, i586, so that would explain the issue, so i guess i'll have to look at distro watch then, thank you. Do you think that it is worth my while getting this up and running?

Dan

#6 2005-01-21 18:29:53

sarah31
Website

crobot wrote:

Thanks again for your response.

Well, having gone into the attic and finding absolutely nothing (seems i had cleared things out without thinking) i'm left with this one computer. Ah, i586, so that would explain the issue, so i guess i'll have to look at distro watch then, thank you. Do you think that it is worth my while getting this up and running?

Dan

Sure it is worth while. You could probably set up a very small install with a nice light WM and set of light PHP production tools. Mind you I really do think it will be a bit of a task setting up Arch on it you should look around for a nice light i586 distro. 

I have a pentium MMX 233 MHz collecting dust here you can have if you can cover the cost of shipping. It already has an Arch i586 installed on it but all of the packages are getting a bit old and I don't know if I ever put X on it since all I was using for was as a router box.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2005-01-21 21:18:46

crobot

Hi,

Sorry about my slow response, have been busy getting the computer up and running; i settled for basic linux([url]http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/[url]) - best thing is it's all installed from 2 floppies. It's all running and looking good, i believe i can use slackware packages, so i'll have to go hunting for apache and php, but the biggest hurdle is certainly out of the way, thanks for your input.

It's lovely offer, but for now it looks like it'll be fine, i'll remember though, in case the computer dies in the not too distant future - i hope not though! :shock:

Dan

#8 2005-01-21 22:01:00

sarah31
Website

Great! Glad you got set up. It should not be too hard to track down slack packages for apache and such. 

Good luck and if you need help we're here even if you may not be using Arch smile

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer