You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-22 08:42:02

trusktr
Banned
Website

Desktop Effects & Customization for Gnome

Hey check this out:

thumb-gnome-desktop.jpg
So what's going on here? How'd this guy get his Gnome to look all tricked out like that?

On my setup, fresh from the Arch repos via "pacman -S gnome", the transparency is clearly fake and background windows won't show behind "transparent" items such as the menu bar. It is obvious that a new version of the "background" image is rendered inside the object and has an effect similar to "fixed" attachment as in CSS.

In the above photo though it appears that this user actually has real transparency for his windows and his menu bar.  How'd he do that!!??

How'd he get that cool calendar widget (or any other widgets)?

And how'd he get that OSX-like menu bar at the bottom!?!...

...Let's start a discussion on how to trick out your Arch Gnome! big_smile

Last edited by trusktr (2010-06-02 03:41:47)

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2010-03-22 08:44:45

Primoz

Re: Desktop Effects & Customization for Gnome

You trick it out as any other Gnome on any other distro big_smile

Go to Gnome-Look site and download/install what you like.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#3 2010-03-22 08:54:15

trusktr
Banned
Website

Well it's kinda dificult to know what to install by looking at that screenshot. hehe. Let's try and figure out what to install and if it exists in the repos and make a nice little handy list.... I'll be back... hang on... big_smile

#4 2010-03-22 08:58:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Transparency is most likely (99%) from compiz, and that at the bottom may be cairo-dock. Calendar would be Rainlendar.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-03-22 09:03:33

toad
Website

Hm, looks like kde big_smile

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#6 2010-03-22 09:05:39

trusktr
Banned
Website

**hollers back from gnome-look** Oh cool, good info, i'm checking it out!

#7 2010-03-22 11:52:27

Meyithi
Website

Is it a Windowblinds skin from 2002?

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#8 2010-03-22 12:11:31

JuseBox

Calender is from screenlets.
Awn is the Dock with OSX Icons.
The transparent part while part is compiz (maybe), part being emerald for the window borders.

Seems like this user is using a beta murrine-gtk-engine and therefore is able to get transparent gtk themes.  Im looking for the link....

i only think this because if this were done with compiz, the contents of the windows would be transparent as well but they aren't looks like only the gtk and windows are transparent.

Here is the gtk murrine cairo engine.
Link

Last edited by JuseBox (2010-03-22 12:18:51)

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#9 2010-03-22 12:26:04

tomk
Forum Fellow

Was there no contact info with that screenshot? Easiest was to figure out how something is done is to ask whoever is doing it.

Also, please remove the full-size shot, and replace it with a thumbnail - screenshot posting rules apply, even if we're not in the screenshot thread.

#10 2010-03-22 16:28:58

trusktr
Banned
Website

Ok will do right after my hwk and errands tomk. Thanks for the heads up!

Hmmmm, I think i already have the murrine cairo engine installed. It is the "gtk-engine-murrine" package, right? big_smile Question is now how do i enable the transparency?

I also installed all of these:
pacman -S gtk-engines gtk-aurora-engine gtk-candido-engine gtk-rezlooks-engine

Question is how do I use them?

Last edited by trusktr (2010-03-22 16:36:31)

#11 2010-03-22 19:21:55

evot

gtk-engine-murrine is required by murrine-themes-collection.

says pacman -Qi gtk-engine-murrine

Maybe you could just use theme that uses murrine engine...

#12 2010-03-22 21:32:08

trusktr
Banned
Website

Hey evot, I tried the murrine themes, but it's nothing special. they are very similar to gnome's default theme. There's no transparency or anything and I don't see any options for it anywhere.

hmmmmmm....

#13 2010-03-22 22:47:30

paperinik

trusktr wrote:

Hey evot, I tried the murrine themes, but it's nothing special. they are very similar to gnome's default theme. There's no transparency or anything and I don't see any options for it anywhere.

hmmmmmm....

You need to install compiz:

pacman -S compiz-fusion-gtk

You also need to add your account to the video group:

gpasswd -a trusktr video

Launch compiz (Alt+F2):

fusion-icon

Alternatively, you can create an autostart for compiz which it automatically starts each time you login to gnome:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Com … on.22.29_2

When you start compiz, you need to enable window borders, window resizing, window moving and other basic features. You can do that from compiz control center.

Good luck.

#14 2010-03-23 00:19:16

fsckd
Forum Fellow

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#15 2010-03-23 02:17:49

trusktr
Banned
Website

cool, good info you guys! when i get it working i'll report back! big_smile

#16 2010-03-23 11:52:01

Zom

To get true transparency with metacity, you can open gconf-editor, go to apps->metacity->general  and enable compositing_manager.

Or you could try mutter, which apparently is going to replace metacity in newer releases.

#17 2010-03-23 19:31:07

trusktr
Banned
Website

Cool zom, so the question is which app is better to use? So far in this thread we've heard of compiz, metacity, mutter, and there's a few more but I bet you probably wouldn't want to install all of them, probably just one.

Does anyone know of any benefits of one over the other?  It'd be nice to know without actually having to try every one! Why does there have to be so many! hehe.

It'd be cool if one of these apps were built into Gnome, or if Gnome would make their own that was part of the appearance editor that allowed these effects.

#18 2010-03-23 19:47:37

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Omg, can you use Google even once to answer your questions? We are not your slaves! We are people, with dreams, dignity and inalienable rights!

Since I already took the time to start answering, your highness, Metacity and Mutter are GNOME's own WMs. In ye days of yore, Metacity had no compositing effects, and thus no true transparency. That was added later on. Mutter is the new and improved WM by the GNOME project to replace Metacity at some point in the future. Compiz is a separate project to capitalize on AIGLX when it was all new. It was awesome and since fusion it is more awesome. That is why people keep referring it.

#19 2010-03-23 19:59:36

jocheem67

Looks like the TS gets a bit carried away with enthousiasm.....that' s fine isn' t it??

I gonna try the compiz-thingie. Never bothered after my switch from ubuntu, but heck....why not ( and there's nothing on TV.. wink )

#20 2010-03-23 22:10:57

mandog

The menus top/bottem panels and popups are all done with Compiz. "Opacity Brightness and Saturation", click on "Windows  specific settings" add this
"name=gnome-panel | type=Menu | tooltip |  PopupMenu | DropdownMenu"  set window values to 81 and you are all but their on that part.
The window borders are done in emerald and very easy to edit.

Last edited by mandog (2010-03-23 22:13:42)

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#21 2010-03-23 22:33:38

fsckd
Forum Fellow

jocheem67 wrote:

Looks like the TS gets a bit carried away with enthousiasm.....that' s fine isn' t it??

Enthusiasm is fine, but many threads trusktr starts end the same way, with a volley of simple questions a quick {Google,wiki} search could answer. I don't want to put trusktr down or suppress him but he should do his own homework.

#22 2010-03-24 01:51:07

trusktr
Banned
Website

Ok well, I looked up compiz on google, fsckd, and it's not very informative (they don't have a screenshot section, really). Most all the screen shots that I can find of it show off it's 3D cube rendering of multiple desktops, which is cool and all, but that's completely useless for me!

Sp what gives? Turns out you need Emerald installed as well. Thanks for that lead mandog! Word of mouth (or word of keyboard) definitely helps. How was ever supposed to know that that it was emerald by searching for compiz when the compiz site doesn't even explicitly say what it does? As a matter of fact, i betting the people over at compiz are relying or "word of mouth" to spread their amazing engine.

Here's what i found when i searched for "compiz emerald" in Google Images:

alright. there were a couple misunderstands and some tangents in this thread, but i finally got what i wanted (the window buttons to look like the ones in my OP, i.e. the minimize, maximize and exit buttons)

steps:

1) enable compiz fusion effects (system > preferences > appearance > visual effects tab > normal)
2) install emarald theme manager (apt-get install emerald)
3) install the compiz fusion icon (apt-get install fusion-icon)
4) run the fusion icon which lets your quickly change compiz and window manager settings. right click the icon and set emerald as your window decorator.

done-- enjoy!

That's a great tip from a thread on ubuntu forums on how to do exactly what i wanted like in the above screenshot! Now that I have the knowledge, i'm definitely willing to help point someone in the right direction.

When i see something in the forums that i know the answer to, i definitely drop a line. We are creating the content for people to be able to google for. wink No word of mouth = no google.

#23 2010-03-24 02:28:10

JuseBox

Here is a screeny with the settings I did after installing compiz:

http://i.imgur.com/Iz4LB.jpg

Last edited by JuseBox (2010-03-24 02:29:51)

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#24 2010-03-24 07:08:15

mandog

The trouble with Google is most of the time its obsolete even 6 months out of date is no help at all.   If you go to Youtube you can get some ideas of what you can do with compiz/emerald.
There are some Compiz/emerald themes on Gnome look org, the odd 1 will give you some of the settings.
But remember you need a good graphics card to use some of the Compiz effects My card has 1gb onboard ram so I do not have any problems and Compiz is on permanently even with app you are advised to turn it off.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#25 2010-03-24 20:52:22

trusktr
Banned
Website

Wow, juseBox, that looks good! Cool to see nice examples.

Great advice mandog! My computer processor can't handle compiz yet, but my dad's can, so i'mma pimp his desktop out! big_smile

I'll post some screens after!

Board footer