You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-22 04:48:26

stonecrest

Boot freeze w/2.6 kernel

Just a FYI.. I tried installing the 2.6 IDE kernel on my Compaq Presario 2105US laptop and, on boot, it would freeze at

using anticipatory io scheduler

I tried with the 2.4 kernel and that worked though, so I don't know what the problem is. Hopefully I won't run into any problems upgrading to 2.6 now that Arch is installed. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass along this info..

P.S. Jet2k5 from the irc server was very helpful with my networking woes. Thanks again!

I am a gated community.

#2 2005-01-23 11:14:11

FUBAR
Website

Re: Boot freeze w/2.6 kernel

So you pacman'd the 2.6-IDE kernel onto your system?

Apparently it doesn't play nice with your laptop. No worries tho, I think if you compile your own (2.6) kernel and don't use the "anticipatory io scheduler", you'll be fine. It's possible to use pacman to install a custom kernel, I have never done it before tho. Check the Wike for that.

You can have as many kernels on your system as you like and choose the appropriate one at boottime, this way you can compile kernels with different options and see which one works out best for your system.

PS.: My 2.6.9 (with ck3-patchset) uses this scheduler:

Jan 19 22:42:19 ferro Using cfq io scheduler

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2005-01-23 16:22:56

iBertus

The new 2.6.10 kernels have an option to specify the i/o scheduler at boot-time. Might want to do some searching around the web for which of the three schedulers might be good for your purposes.

#4 2005-01-26 02:19:59

stonecrest

FUBAR wrote:

So you pacman'd the 2.6-IDE kernel onto your system?

Yes, I pacman'd the 2.6 IDE kernel and it boots up just fine. I'm using 2.6.10 right now from Arch and didn't have to manually specify anything - it just worked. I haven't  been able to figure out why it didn't work from the cd install but hey, just glad to have an alternative that works wink

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the io scheduler was the problem area. I actually tried editing the grub line to load different io schedulers and it always froze at the same place. I'm tempted to believe that it was actually freezing on what happens right after the io scheduler? But don't quote me on that.

I am a gated community.

Board footer