You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-23 18:20:32

TheAccountant

Setup script...

Hi guys.

Firstly, just want to say I have FINALLY found my distro. Its fast, its awesome and it supports all my hardware!

Right, to get Arch to a useable stage took a little while; mostly just editing the config files and what not...

So I was thinking, what do you guys do when you have to do a reinstall? I mean surely you guys have spent weeks tweeking to the point that you cant even remember what you did? How do you restore?

I was thinking of going through the help, looking at the file structure so I know where all the config files are. Backup them up... Then all I have to do is use the quick-install script (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Usi … Arch_Linux) and then maybe write a copy restore script which copies the files over to where they need to go and presto, a new clean system back in order...?

What do you guys think? Do you have some sort of "better" system?

Regards.

#2 2010-03-23 18:29:58

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Setup script...

I keep my /home on a seperate partion, and have some of my .files on github.
Only takes me about 40 mins to get everything up again if I have to reinstall.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-03-23 18:37:08

TheAccountant

Well, I set /home to seperate parition and made moving from Mint to Arch a breeze. Even cookies worked which was nice.

By .files, do you mean all your config files?

#4 2010-03-23 18:39:10

n0dix

IMHO, the easiest way is to have /home in a different partition.
Maybe a backup in a pendrive, CD, or external hard drive. Or like say Mr.Elendig  have a web page with the information.

#5 2010-03-23 22:02:36

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

TheAccountant wrote:

So I was thinking, what do you guys do when you have to do a reinstall? I mean surely you guys have spent weeks tweeking to the point that you cant even remember what you did? How do you restore?

Reinstalls are usually not needed, due to Arch's rolling nature, but in case of unforeseen circumstances, you could always have backups of /etc and /home.

#6 2010-03-24 20:51:53

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

I have an automatic installation procedure that checks out my $HOME from svn, and pulls a packagelist out of svn and installs all those packages.
http://github.com/Dieterbe/aif/blob/mas … ticprofile

it probably doesn't work correctly anymore though, it has been a while since i tested it

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#7 2010-04-03 12:32:31

TheAccountant

Hey.

Thanks guys for the info. So far, I have only got / root partition and a /home. Once I am used to Arch, I shall seperate everything.

Also, there is a small section on the install Wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off … _Procedure) which has a bit of info on automating the install....

Thank you for the info!

#8 2010-04-03 20:48:42

IgnorantGuru
Website

Back when I used Kubuntu I maintained a post-install script that handled all the tasks after an upgrade.  As far as user settings, I just copy the /home folder.  But for other system-level changes the script was very handy.

With Arch, I have yet to reinstall so I haven't been maintaining such a script.  I do keep notes on changes I make in case it comes to that.  Usually before a significant upgrade I make a partition backup, and if the upgrade doesn't go well, just roll it back.  In fact I did that just today when the gtk upgrade broke pcmanfm.  With that solution in place a need to reinstall Arch should be rare.

Board footer