You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-24 16:14:19

Fruity

guake + odd behaviour

I have a fresh install of Arch, all up to date, running the gnome desktop with compiz-fusion.

I've installed guake 0.4.1-1 via pacman, and have added 'guake' off the system > preferences > start up; to fire it up at boot.

Now when it starts guake's background is the same as that on my desktop, currently the standard gnome green green leaf look, its a solid non-transparent colour. This isnt the look I want, and when I stop guake then researt it manually with 'guake &' it now has the as-first-installed transparent background that shows whatever is on the desktop - even the dvd I am currently watching, it's really quite smart.

So my question is this: Why is this happening? I want it to auto start with the transparent background, like on the first install. Both ways I start guake are using exactly the same command, it just seems odd. Is this compiz related? I wondered about the web and there seems to be many posts across various distros regarding transparency, but no fix that I can find.

Could I run a script to fire it up once, then kill it and restart it.. Would this work? It seems a hack n slash way though. Can anyone give me a few lines of code to do this auto at boot? Maybe delaying the start by 10 seconds to ensure compiz is up and running? No idea if compiz is part of the problem or not though...

Any ideas?

#2 2010-03-24 19:23:58

fabertawe

Re: guake + odd behaviour

I don't know Guake but it's easy to have gnome-terminal pop up (or down) using one of Compiz's effects. I have a couple set to "scroll" up from the bottom of the screen (one standard, one full screen) and set as "always on top". Apologies if you already knew this wink

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#3 2010-04-28 10:55:12

hokasch

Re: guake + odd behaviour

This happens when quake starts up before compiz is completely loaded, you can use something like "sh -c "sleep 20 && guake"" to delay guake's startup.

Last edited by hokasch (2010-05-03 10:46:14)

Board footer